Timer for Oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have an diesel oil boiler, Trianco Euro 65, (data sheet here https://trianco.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Eurostar-Utility-65-to-125.pdf)

I currently dont have any timer function, its just connected to a honeywell dial thermostat. The boiler is plugged into a normal switched plug socket on the wall. From what i have so far read, i gather this is not technically OK, but is safe enough (the plug is right next to the boiler, and the socket will not ever be used for anything else, i live on a houseboat and the boiler is down in the engine room). I have not lived here long but i know that it has been like this many years, and the boiler is always serviced yearly, so presumably the engineer doesn't have a problem (although i will ask him next timer he comes of course). So my question is, could i put some kind of electrical timer into the plug socket so that i can turn the boiler on/off at set intervals. As long as its rated at the very least 5A (from the data sheet) would it be an issue electrically? On the other hand, would cutting the power on / off, especially cutting it off whilst the boiler is running cause the boiler any harm?

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
If you have a Honeywell dial thermostat you could change it for a programmable thermostat that also has built in time control.

If the existing thermostat doesn't have a neutral connection (some do, some don't) choose a battery powered model such as the Danfoss TP7000, Honeywell CM37 or Drayton Digistat+3 The batteries usually last several years before needing replacement.

I'm not familiar with your boiler but some do require a permanent power supply for various reasons, if yours does, then a plug in timer would interrupt it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back