Timer socket with remote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for a UK 13A timer socket with a remote, is this something that exists? Specifically looking for something that doesn’t rely on the internet to work.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's plenty on Amazon etc. Not sure I would trust a 13A socket permanently connected to a 3kw heater though.

Blup

Hi,

Looking for a UK 13A timer socket with a remote, is this something that exists? Specifically looking for something that doesn’t rely on the internet to work.

Thanks
Yes in a way. I wanted the same, and I used Energenie, the remote Remote control.jpgwill work the socket without the internet, but to set the timer you need a hub and internet, but once set it does not need the internet. What I found was the down side it only has 3 timers, and I wanted 4, only way to get 4th was using IFTTT and internet.

I am not sure about zigbee, again needs a hub, and internet to set it, but again once set the internet is not required, however never really tried to switch off internet to test it.

Not sure I would trust a 13A socket permanently connected to a 3kw heater though.
I would also question drawing the full 13 amp for an extended time with a plug in device as the fuse produces heat, OK for a short time, but the heat would build up, and really they are designed for non British systems where there is no fuse, and they would not get hot as a result, but seen nothing about wanting to use it to power a device which does use the max power for an extended time.

I looked for a timer with remote where it did not need internet to set them, but failed, most are set with a phone, and will not even work with a PC.

I got some TRV heads which were bluetooth, the problem with them is you could only connect to one phone, so either I have control or wife, but not both of us.

Thanks for the replies, seems like the simple solution I was looking for doesn’t exist but, like you said ericmark, it’s possible where the internet is only required to set it up and not needed after that.

To clarify, I referred to the socket as 13 A as that’s the max fbut I’m going to be drawing less than 1 amp.

Sponsored Links
Another question ericmark, is this the one with the MiHome hub or is it stand alone?

Yes in a way. I wanted the same, and I used Energenie, the remote View attachment 296469will work the socket without the internet, but to set the timer you need a hub and internet, but once set it does not need the internet. What I found was the down side it only has 3 timers, and I wanted 4, only way to get 4th was using IFTTT and internet.

I am not sure about zigbee, again needs a hub, and internet to set it, but again once set the internet is not required, however never really tried to switch off internet to test it.

I would also question drawing the full 13 amp for an extended time with a plug in device as the fuse produces heat, OK for a short time, but the heat would build up, and really they are designed for non British systems where there is no fuse, and they would not get hot as a result, but seen nothing about wanting to use it to power a device which does use the max power for an extended time.

I looked for a timer with remote where it did not need internet to set them, but failed, most are set with a phone, and will not even work with a PC.

I got some TRV heads which were bluetooth, the problem with them is you could only connect to one phone, so either I have control or wife, but not both of us.

The Energenie remote control with work with the wall sockets, light switches, socket strips, but not with the power monitor, the remote will switch them on/off, but to set timers you need the hub.

There are socket adaptors which I got from Lidi which need the Zigbee hub to program, also got a light strip which has a remote control, which is programmed through the hub, I found I could use the remote with light bulbs, but not the relay, so seems limited use.

Wiz from Screwfix it seems do a remote control, I have one Wiz bulb, it seems to lack the timing functions of other smart bulbs I have, but it does have a dim out before switching off function, rather handy as it means you have a warning when it is going to switch off. And it does not need a hub.

In the main bulbs which don't need a hub need to router setting at 2.4 Ghz to set them up, once first bulb set up with phone app, then extras are easy, but I have to use tablet to set up first bulb not phone as it seems tablet is 2.4 Ghz where phone uses 5 Ghz so need to set to 2.4 Ghz to start with. All smart bulbs seem the same that way, as 2.4 Ghz gives better range.

The phone is much slower than a remote control, but does work, also most will once set up migrate to Google Home, so what ever make you can have one app for all, but the extra features are only with the app you set it up with. Dust until dawn etc. So I have a selection House-Apps.jpg which is getting a pain. Getting google Nest Mini's to turn on/off with voice commands is easy enough, you need to be careful with names you assign to items, but getting it to turn items on/off as set times, or dim lights etc, not quite so easy to set up. We have no radio reception in the house and they were bought to listen to radio with, which they do well, however for other tasks they can be like mischievous little boys, however it has just done well spelling mischievous for me.

Not sure I would want it to control my central heating, but turning lights on/off seems to work well now, but early days it worked out how to switch them off, but not back on again.

The zigbee hub seems much better than the Energenie hub, the latter some times fails and I have to reboot it. But wife loosing use of her fingers now, it's hey google all the time.

Hi,

Thanks

I have a couple of remote control socket sets, one I still use. It uses radio/wireless remote control, range is very good, but it lacks the timer function you specified. It has one remote, controlling four sockets.

I have mostly replaced that system, by Smart Socket adaptors, which need/use the Internet and Alexa - because I needed the automated and timer control, offered by Alexa. I retained the old wireless remote system, to power my main Internet router, which is tucked away in the loft, making it possible to reboot that remotely. Something not possible with Internet Smart Sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back