tiny extension - need foundation??

To be not subjected to notification to the Local Authority the amount of glass is no longer relevant. jeds has already highlighted the gist of what must be adhered to. Building Regulations will still apply though in that it must be built adequately structurally etc.

Sponsored Links
To be not subjected to notification to the Local Authority the amount of glass is no longer relevant. jeds has already highlighted the gist of what must be adhered to. Building Regulations will still apply though in that it must be built adequately structurally etc.

I think we established that the regulations no longer include a requirement for the proportion of glazing, but the LABC guidelines do; some local authorities follow the LABC guidelines and others do not.

Cheers
Richard

right, so without trying to confuse myself here, this is what i have gathered so far:

i am keeping the external door to my house and not connecting any heating to the extension.

the extension will have plastic sheets for a roof

and i must have foundation regardless.

i have out up walls before and it was pretty straightforward and they are still standing! i was just hoping i did not have to put in foundations as this is something i have never done in my life. any advice on how long the foundations take? im assuming i need a concrete drill?

Sponsored Links
Just google foundations or foundation design, there are loads of plans and charts etc to let you know what needs doing. If you are going down the route of building regs, then they will also let you know whats needed. TBH, if the area is concreted, then in order to get a neat edge, I would stihl saw the permieter of the area you are planning to build on (allowing for width of foundations). Then break up the concrete using whatever is appropriate for its depth and make up - stihl saw, sledge hammer etc. You will then have a clean area to dig and lay the foundations, then your sub base, DPM and then cast your slab.

how big is this 'extension' going to be? 7ft x ?ft.

to me it sounds like its not really an extension that you are building, but more of a wall and roof to form a shelter of some kind?

why dont you just make a well constructed timber lean to-avoiding the need for regs, foundation and all manner of fuss as it could be termed a temp structure and easily disassembled.

youve mentioned plastic roofing a couple of times and i wonder why you need to have brick walls when you say that really yo want to store a bike and have a roof over an outdoor sink and toilet..

Is this a wind-up.

Is it an extension, a conservatory or a lean-to?

What are your exact aims and what is it you actually want?

Is it solely for bikes etc. or are you going to be spending time in it?

its 7 by 10 feet. and i mentioned plastic roof as ts cheaper and because the main reason for this is to protect the bikes and also provide a shelter when using the outdoor toilet. i was quoted 5k by a builder which seems too much money for something like this.

and no taz, this is not a wind up. just a confused dad with very little money trying to make something for his kids!

munching b, this timber lean to is something i have never thought about but sounds interesting. to be honest, the more i have been reading up on foundations the less i think i will be able to do it myself.

without sounding even more sillier, any advice on timber lean to's?

just google ' timber lean to' and search images and you'll see lots of good ideas that might appeal to you.

Sounds to me also that a lean-to timber structure would be more appropriate. And a lot cheaper. And you could build off your concrete slab without having to hack anything up.

Just to clarify further; for the purposes of building control there is no distinction between a conservatory and extension. As far as building regulations are concerned all additions are extensions and must comply with the rules for extensions. Some extensions are exempt from building control. If you leave the existing house door in place and do not connect to the house heating system then it is exempt. (subject to the other normal rules i.e. floor area etc.) It has nothing to do with the amount of glass.

If you want to build an extension that is largely glass (i.e. what most of us would call a conservatory) and take out the house door then that's fine but you must calculate heat loss and compensate for it. But building regs would still class it as an extension.

We begged to differ back then too! :p

I'm not disagreeing with you in the slightest on what the regulations say, and what the government advice to LAs was: glazing is irrelevant.

The fact remains that at least one LA has said, explicitly, that they follow the contradictory LABC guidelines, and don't consider something to be a conservatory without substantial glazing. Wouldn't you agree it's important for people to be aware of this, in case they run into difficulty with their own LA?

Cheers
Richard

My neighbour has a timber 'walled' rear side-return extension connected to our party-wall on one side and his outside wc and ex coal store on the other.
The roof is triple-glazed plastic and there is a back door to the garden.
He simply drilled and raw-bolted the timber frame to the existing concrete floor/path & the existing rainwater & soil pipes are still in place inside the 'extension'.
It's been there over 12 years with no problems, it's only now that we are building our own side-return extension he's thinking about doing the same.

The fact remains that at least one LA has said, explicitly, that they follow the contradictory LABC guidelines, and don't consider something to be a conservatory without substantial glazing. Wouldn't you agree it's important for people to be aware of this, in case they run into difficulty with their own LA?
Whatever it says in their Technical guidance, LABC are not government funded and have no legal standing, I fail to see how they can stipulate how the Building Regulations are interpreted. It is guidance and guidance only.

Whatever it says in their Technical guidance, LABC are not government funded and have no legal standing, I fail to see how they can stipulate how the Building Regulations are interpreted. It is guidance and guidance only.

Yes I know that, but what's someone supposed to do if they fall foul of a LA that does follow that guidance, and issues an enforcement notice? The person will either have to roll over, or get involved in a lenghty appeals process through the courts.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back