to batten or not to batten....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tips about boarding my garage ceiling...now lets tackle the walls!
One is internal - will be just masonry painting the breeze style blocks
Other one is external(single brick) and often shows white damp /lime or whatever it is ( like powder, but scrape it off, and its back a few days later :evil: ) Now I want to plasterboard over this wall, to help Insulation / heat loss, and of course "hide" this problematic white stuff. The wall has a couple of copper pipes running up it, and electric trunking to main consumer unit, also "rear" of elec and gas meter boxes stick out a couple of inches. I dont want to lose any more width in the garage than absoluely necessary, but would like to hide the pipes/trunking etc.
The pipes and stuff protrude about 50mm from wall, so 2x1 battens (fixed edge on)would just about do it...but how do I fix em to the brickwork - would a good adhesive ( no more nails type stuff) be good, or what??
Also is there a special board ( thermal plasterboard) that I should use, and should I apply plastic membrane or similar to battens before affixing boarding to prevent this white stuff bleeding through?
Is there an alternative way to do the job quicker / cheaper / simpler. TYIA

Sponsored Links
come on guys...you were so good about the ceiling job - surely someone has some help for me on this one?? Pretty please :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

eunos800 said:
Thanks for the tips about boarding my garage ceiling...now lets tackle the walls!
One is internal - will be just masonry painting the breeze style blocks
Other one is external(single brick) and often shows white damp /lime or whatever it is ( like powder, but scrape it off, and its back a few days later :evil: ) Now I want to plasterboard over this wall, to help Insulation / heat loss, and of course "hide" this problematic white stuff. The wall has a couple of copper pipes running up it, and electric trunking to main consumer unit, also "rear" of elec and gas meter boxes stick out a couple of inches. I dont want to lose any more width in the garage than absoluely necessary, but would like to hide the pipes/trunking etc.
The pipes and stuff protrude about 50mm from wall, so 2x1 battens (fixed edge on)would just about do it...but how do I fix em to the brickwork - would a good adhesive ( no more nails type stuff) be good, or what??
Also is there a special board ( thermal plasterboard) that I should use, and should I apply plastic membrane or similar to battens before affixing boarding to prevent this white stuff bleeding through?
Is there an alternative way to do the job quicker / cheaper / simpler. TYIA

screws and plugs to fix your battons, dpm up the back of the batton will stop the battons getting wet. theirs loads of insulation boards look here http://www.lafargeplasterboard.co.uk/products/concepts/thermal1.htm#

Why not treat yourself to some 2x2 battens? I would not recommend trying to screw 2x1 battens edge on. Do yourself a favour!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...useful tips.
I have actually decided to use 3 x 2 as these will not only provide greater surface to affix to wall, but also better "ledge area" for where the panels butt up at joints :)
Any easier method than drill and plug for affixing these timbers??

a nail gun is easier, fixing battons to the floor and ceiling might mean less drilling and then fix the studs to these with nails.

The wall with the eflorescence - this is left behind when the water carrying it evaporates. If you cover the wall, what will happen to the damp?

I guess this is a retorical question - and I am unqualified to answer. If there is a better solution to my problem ( taking all aspects into consideration - IE it's "only a garage/workshop" - costs - etc ) then I would be genuinely grateful for ideas. If this is being caused by water evaporating, then where is the water coming from....I was told by a builder that it is "quite common" with these bricks ( fairly ordinary looking rustic reddy type house brick). If water is being absorbed through the brick from outside, then perhaps a coat of suitable sealer / stabiliser may help? The way I plan to "hide" this wall will result in a 2" gap between the plasterboard and brick at the top of the "panelling", so there will remain some ventilation anyway.......
Incidentally, the efluorescence or whatever, is fairly slight, but unsightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back