To buy or not to buy? re roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having lurked and made use of the info on this forum its now that i really need some advise from the experts.

Im Looking to buy a house with obvious roof issues, Having had someone look at it i have been told it needs re roofing and probably some supports replacing internally. Bit vague i know! the pics are of the front, the back appears normal but the suggestion was total removal, repair and re lay.

I have been quoted a ball park figure of 7k and 5-7 days for a re roof and some internal work which i thought seemed alittle steep for a week and using the same tiles but....what do you think?

Anyway i am getting someone else out to also quote but its proving difficult to get access to the house so i was hoping for any opinions of what we are or maybe letting ourselves in for before we spend on surveys.

so would appreciate an idea of worst case costs and probable costs please?

also wondered what the black section in between the chimneys is and the stones protruding from the wall below the gutter?

any comments at all would be very welcome,

thanks, truman.

Sponsored Links
cant see much from the pics but i would make sur ei knew what was needed before committing to buy,its obvious the roof has failed at the point where the tiles are not sitting right but what the damage is inside the roof i dont know.
the gap between the chimneys could be a bodged attempt at removing other chimney pots possibly.

make sure you get 3 quotes minimum and get the price of the quote off the price of the going rate of a good quality neighbouring house,if you know what i mean.

example:

good quality house 100k

price of works 7k

your offer,no more than 93k max,as myou may incur unforeseen costs and you also have the hassle of putting it right.

as with anyone having building work done,keep a retained for 3 months if possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the imput guys,

The price is really difficult to work out chuckka63 as its not just the roof, central heating needs fitting and a re wire plus full decoration inc carpets and kitchen makeover and bathroom update needed. Im hoping to do 16k tops for the full thing so the roof cost is the single biggest cost. also kitchen and bathroom i will do myself and also the decorating.

reasonable?

also still appreciate any more guestimations on the roof.

im at;
2.5k fit combi and 5 rads
1.5k re wire
7k roof
1k kitchen
500 bathroom
1k carpets/floor
1k sundries
1.5k other

living in cuckoo land or reasonable for a 2 up 2down?

cheers
truman

im at;
1.5k re wire
7k roof
1k kitchen
500 bathroom
1k carpets/floor
1k sundries
1.5k other

cheers
truman

The figures above mostly need doubling or quadrupling especially the kitchen and bathroom, but , yes the roof quote is steep. Probably 4.5k tops, mebbe?

im at;
1.5k re wire
7k roof
1k kitchen
500 bathroom
1k carpets/floor
1k sundries
1.5k other

cheers
truman

The figures above mostly need doubling or quadrupling especially the kitchen and bathroom, but , yes the roof quote is steep. Probably 4.5k tops, mebbe?

Thanks for the reply,

i would greatly appreciate it if you could point at which ones need doubling and more, i am doing alot of it myself eg bathroom, the plumbing, tiling and painting but think 700 to be closer than 500 after a quote for all the units and taps etc of £450. also kitchen is fronts and surfaces , tiles and painting, again doing myself.

any help greatly received

thanks

truman

Well! Its obvious there is a problem with the roof, otherwise you would not have that dirty great big carbuncle in the middle! Most likely cause - damaged or broken rafters.
To add to the problem you have a slipped slate, comes from the left hand facing side of the carbunkle and where you have one you could get more. From the photographs it would appear that the properties have been renovated in the recent past and it may be that part of the problem is related to ongoing ground movement/subsidence - Any known subsidence in the area e.g. are the buildings located in a disused/used mining area?

Time you have allowed for scaffolding to both sides, replacement slates (normally allow 50% for breakages + ridge tiles), then there are the repairs or replacement of the rafters - add on a weighting for 'peace of mind' and £7k is not a bad cost, but as already mentioned you should get a minimum of 3 quotes, as these are tough times and who knows you may obtain a better price.
While you have the roof off and the guy's are inside the loft space you may wish to consider insulating between the rafters.

One question: What happened to the neighbouring house - looks like yours or the theirs has been rebuilt?

Regards

Time you have allowed for scaffolding to both sides, replacement slates (normally allow 50% for breakages + ridge tiles), then there are the repairs or replacement of the rafters - add on a weighting for 'peace of mind' and £7k is not a bad cost
Hmm if they're real slates maybe the price would be getting into the right ballpark but all that in 5-7 days? If that lot can be done in 7 days I'll eat my leotard!

you also need to remember the price may have been reduced by several thousands already to reflect the work that needs doing so it may already be priced with all the known problems included
it off course may not be reduced at all so you need to do your homework to find out the true value now and when all the works been done and find out if its good value with room to improve or not worth the asking price plus other costs remembering the morgadge and insurance payments

Well! Its obvious there is a problem with the roof, otherwise you would not have that dirty great big carbuncle in the middle! Most likely cause - damaged or broken rafters.
To add to the problem you have a slipped slate, comes from the left hand facing side of the carbunkle and where you have one you could get more. From the photographs it would appear that the properties have been renovated in the recent past and it may be that part of the problem is related to ongoing ground movement/subsidence - Any known subsidence in the area e.g. are the buildings located in a disused/used mining area?

Time you have allowed for scaffolding to both sides, replacement slates (normally allow 50% for breakages + ridge tiles), then there are the repairs or replacement of the rafters - add on a weighting for 'peace of mind' and £7k is not a bad cost, but as already mentioned you should get a minimum of 3 quotes, as these are tough times and who knows you may obtain a better price.
While you have the roof off and the guy's are inside the loft space you may wish to consider insulating between the rafters.

One question: What happened to the neighbouring house - looks like yours or the theirs has been rebuilt?

Regards

Thanks to everyone for the replys,

The other properties have just had some sand blasting/exterior cleaning and for presumably cosmetic work to explain the colour difference, not rebuilding or anything like that.

to update,

A recommended roofer looked at it today, he got up inside and up a ladder outside, his opinion, the roof ridge is ok as are the purlins. apparently the battens have slipped and that has caused the bowing.

so to strengthen inside with wood frame before starting, strip, replace battens, replace the slate is circa 2K plus scaffold (front only) and he is preparing a detailed quotation?

now obviously its what i want to hear but, What do you guys think? sound reasonable, could it be as simple as that?

another quote needed and the full survey will i suppose give us a final idea of the extent of the problem.

thanks

truman

Well! I'm not offering to eat my hat, but I would suggest that you get up into that loft space yourself and take some photographs of that area of the roof and post them on this thread for comments.

You do not get that amount of damage occuring to a slate roof because of some slipped battens!! Not in a month of Sunday's!! Also the slates have not slipped - the one that has moved has done so because the fixing nails have pulled through the slate and is an indication of a lot of flexing / movement in the roof!

Regards

Well! I'm not offering to eat my hat, but I would suggest that you get up into that loft space yourself and take some photographs of that area of the roof and post them on this thread for comments.

You do not get that amount of damage occuring to a slate roof because of some slipped battens!! Not in a month of Sunday's!! Also the slates have not slipped - the one that has moved has done so because the fixing nails have pulled through the slate and is an indication of a lot of flexing / movement in the roof!

Regards
leave your hat alone!!!!
It seems your right about being more than battens, think i must have got confused!!

Had another chat to find out more from the roofer, He told me a couple of spars had slipped off the ridge beam causing the partial collapse of that centre section, but should not be a complicated or difficult job to rectify, he will also investigate the carbunkle between the two chimneys and drop it under the roof if possible then tile over.

He also said worse case scenario is if the ridge beam has snapped (although he's sure it hasnt) and even then its not going to add a huge expense to order the timber and install a new one.

so feel more confident to go ahead now,

Sound abit more like the possible cause? I will also post some internal pics later in the week if i can get access.

truman

Hi

Not overly convinced by what your roofer is saying, but at least you are moving in the right direction.

Its more likely the rafter has broken its back about the purlin, i.e. the ridge dropped and the lower section of the rafter did not move and the rafter snapped on the back of the purlin - just like a matchstick! Which would explain the condition of the slates.

Regards

thanks for your continued assistance,

Yes i agree with your theory, breaking at the purlin area i imagine would cause the lifting of the tiles which we can see. monday night i will be in the roof to get the pics.

watch this space......

regards

Truman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back