To felt roof or not ?

hk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently purchased an old cottage and the builder has recommended we remove the Pantiles and felt the roof. How necessary is this and are there alternatives ?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Pantiles can last around 120yrs - Felt depending on the quality can last between 15 and just maybe up to 25 years - which one would you want to rely upon??

If you want to spend some money, you could strip the pantiles, introduce some insulation between the rafters and retile - not quite that simpler an operation, but it is worth considering.

Has the builder said why he would suggest replacing the pantiles with felt?

Regards

why mend something that aint broken.i would felt your roof only when it leaks and if you dont touch the tiles then it shouldnt leak,assuming its not leaking at the moment.
If you do felt it,make sure you use breathable felt.

We have recently purchased an old cottage and the builder has recommended we remove the Pantiles and felt the roof. How necessary is this and are there alternatives ?
I am confused, is the builder talking about putting felt under the pantiles? Can you currently see the back of the tiles from the loft?

Sponsored Links
Do it when the roof needs stripping and re-laying anyway. At some point it will have to be done due to deterioration of nails or battens.

I am confused, is the builder talking about putting felt under the pantiles? Can you currently see the back of the tiles from the loft?

Yes - to clarify it's a 18th century cottage. I've totally stripped the inside because all plaster was shot. We now have an empty shell upstairs and can see through to the tiles. With no insulation at all.

What is being suggested is to remove the tiles, then lay felt and relay the same tiles. Which I'm happy to do if it is necessary but obviously would also like to avoid if it's not 'totally necessary'. Already from the answers I'm thinking if it ain't broke....

There were sections of interior plaster that looked like it had been affected by damp, loads just fell off, but it's impossible to tell how long ago and wether the issue was fixed or indeed if it was just 'old' plaster.

Any advice welcome..

Already from the answers I'm thinking if it ain't broke....
I think felt reduces ventilation in the loft space and can make any damp problems worse. On the plus side, the loft stays cleaner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back