To make two uprights Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Members,
I would like to know the best way to level two uprights.
The width is twenty feet and the height of uprights ten feet.
If I was working from ground level I understand the base would have to be equal.
What I am asking ,is there another mehod to do this from a different level?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Quick and cheap method is to use a water level.

Length of hose pipe ( long enough to go from the top of one post to the top of the other ) and two empty plastic bottles with the bottoms cut out.

To save me typing it is all here except he uses a bike tyre inner tube when for longer distances a hose pipe is needed

http://www.instructables.com/id/-WATER-TUBE-LEVEL-from-scraps-/

Take care when filling to ensure there is no air trapped in the pipe

Presumablly you mean how to level a 10' high post? Well, you would measure a mark the same distance down from the top of each post where you can see it easily, and then level that mark.

You could potentially use one of the posts as a levelling board if its straight, and level the 10' with pegs in the ground, and then level the next 10' to the base of where the post will go and put a peg in. And then measure up to the mark you have put on the post.

You can do this with a spirit level

Sponsored Links
Woody, how is it that fellow member bernardgreen grasped the content of my post and came back with a positive solution.
You havent taken into consideration the width and working at the top,but thanks for your input.

In practice you need a water level with end tubes you can put your thumb over the end of them, or you might find the water shooting out when you don't get them close to level.
Bit surprised woody didn't read my mind and say this earlier.

a laser level would be the easiest, but it would need to be in the evening when its not to bright

In practice you need a water level with end tubes you can put your thumb over the end of them
Or use bottles at the end as per the link, then you can see the water through them ( a drop of ink makes it even easier to see the water level ) and they act as a sort of surge arrestor. Set them up approxiamately level and then add water is necessary

a cheap led bike light taped to a spirit level will work provided that you calibrate it first using two known levels at a similar distance

means waiting until dark tho.

a camera phone also can work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back