To sleeve or not to sleeve??

Sponsored Links
What about if the pipe is passing through a ceiling eg drilled down through a floorboard through the ceiling from upstairs to down stairs ?? ceiling plasterboard ??

Sponsored Links
What about if the pipe is passing through a ceiling eg drilled down through a floorboard through the ceiling from upstairs to down stairs ?? ceiling plasterboard ??

A very good call Transam son, i'm not saying one way or another, I just want to hear your views.

from floor to floor and not in a duct i think there has to be some sort of fire stopping material used, i remember reading this a year or so back,

Oh, just before someone says; 'Better to debate this in the combustion chamber'. ****abuse deleted**** CC/CCCs & CPSs got me banned from there!!

So, any points on boiler repairs or gas related views I may have, I can only express them here.
who is cc/ccc etc

from floor to floor and not in a duct i think there has to be some sort of fire stopping material used, i remember reading this a year or so back,

I think you may find Bill, some LABC officers may view gas pipes run between first floor joists as indeed a duct & should be vented accordingly!!
We have also had NHBC inspectors spouting the same drivel.

Yes, can & worms springs to mind!!

Oh, just before someone says; 'Better to debate this in the combustion chamber'. Well, the dafty rsole CC/CCCs & CPSs got me banned from there!!

So, any points on boiler repairs or gas related views I may have, I can only express them here.
who is cc/ccc etc

CC = course cowboy
CCC = career change chancer
CPS = cowboy in polo shirt(BG employee)

Let's see if some of the old guard can teach the cc's something about sleeving.

22mm copper gas line,what size sleeve if using copper.

Serious question.

I think you may find Bill, some LABC officers may view gas pipes run between first floor joists as indeed a duct & should be vented accordingly!!
We have also had NHBC inspectors spouting the same drivel.

Yes, can & worms springs to mind!!
to some people a duck is a duct, but in this case the space between the joists and the supports could be considered as a duck and prob should be, although i cant remember ever seeing a vented floor space.

Well Delta T has asked the question !!

Sleeves can be made of steel , copper or a suitable fireproof plastic !

Reg 19 deals with sleeving (2) states No person shall install any installation pipework so as to pass through a wall, floor or standing of solid construction (wether or not it contains a cavity ) from one side to the other unless
(b) adequate means are provided to prevent so far as is practicable , any escape of gas from the pipework passing through the the wall , floor , or standing from entering any cavity in the wall , floor or standing !!

19 (1) No person shall install any pipe work ect ect unless it is protected against failure caused by movement ect

There is no requirement as I understand it to sleeve pipes that are drilled through joists !!!

A stud wall would come under the heading of a standing , therefore the pipe would need to be sleeved , not for protection from the building ?? but because of a potential gas leak ?? into what would be classified as a cavity or unventilated space !!

Incidentally factory sheathed pipe which includes space between the internal & external sleeving need not be sleeved , these spaces were refered to as interslices , normally came as 10mm soft copper !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back