To sleeve or not to sleeve??

what about a pipe passing through a timber framed wall from one side to another.what sort of piping materials should be used. not a trick question

Sponsored Links
Let's see if some of the old guard can teach the cc's something about sleeving.

22mm copper gas line,what size sleeve if using copper.

Serious question.

Aha I have found it knew it was somewhere , next size up or the internal diameterr of any sleeve should allow an annular space of at least 3mm ariund the pipe !! yes /no ????

Serious question.

Aha I have found it knew it was somewhere , next size up or the internal diameterr of any sleeve should allow an annular space of at least 3mm ariund the pipe !! yes /no ????
yes anal space is so important when sleeving 3mm is right

Assuming you are correct, what size copper sleeve is the correct sleeve for 22mm.

As for pie in timber Walls,studwork partions and floor voids you should read ige/up/7 it's free to download and answers all that you've rightly or wrongly mentioned earlier.

Sponsored Links
dwbbill";p=" said:
transam";p=" said:
lcgs";p=" said:

Serious question.

yes anal space is so important when sleeving 3mm is right

is that annular space a constant value for all pipesizes :?:

well i hope so in domestic use, a pipes a pipe and doesnt react well to a wall applying load, or any smaller than 3mm and what is the chance of it even expelling gas if a leak did occour.

22mm would need an internal diameter sleeve of 28 mm to give a minimumn annular gap of 3mm ?

I would say it is a constant minimumn value for all pipe sizes ???????

Pipes need sleeving/sealing in case of or to prevent damage from corrosion, subsidence or leaking into cavities.

Fine and dandy, but then they say you can use plastic. Please tell me how much brick wall that would hold up :rolleyes:

The Normative document is the British Standard, not the IGE doc, which makes no demands on the annular gap size.

But there must be an annular gap ?? eg you cannot have a sleeve were there is no annular gap , hyperthetically (? spelling ?) speaking , for example one could not sleeve a gas pipe by forcing it into a sleeve that provides no annular space ?? yes/no ???

no offence transam but sometimes it gets a little repetitive and gets on my tits. sorry

Although people will come up with sizes the corgi book which is still the one gas safe go by basically says the sleeve must be big enough for the pipe to slide in with enough space to add a sealing material no actual clearence is given/

My question estate with medium pressure gas supply , inset meter box has pipe exiting through the back of the box through the spigot adaptor what would you be checking and classing it as

Area between joists is not classed as a duct as per gas safe and corgi before them. Pretty certain there is a tech bulletin about it .
There was a short period of confusion a few years ago when they changed there minds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back