Toaster in kitchen tripping rccb

Sponsored Links
Which of the breakers in your photo is the one that tripped?

There is only one RCCB.

That is quite normal

An RCCB (also known as an RCD) trips when there is a imbalance between the current flowing through the L and the N wires, usually caused by a fault allowing current to flow to earth.

The other breakers are MCBs which trip if the current drawn is excessive, such as an overload or short-circuit.

It is possible to provide individual RCD protection to each circuit, but this is more expensive.

Sponsored Links
The one marked rccb ( the bigger one) I would of expected one of the much mcbs to trip before the rccb

Yep, the MCB protects the circuit from overload. The RCCB is there to detect imbalances between line (live) & neutral.

Your toaster has an imbalance in the current drawn from the Line conductor and the current returning on the Neutral conductor, which indicates the probability of current passing from the Line conductor to the protective Earth conductor via crumbs and other detritus within the toaster.

It would seem to be a good idea to unplug your toaster and give it a good cleaning - however that may be achieved.
After cleaning the toaster and resetting the MCBs and the RCCB/RCD concerned, retest the toaster to see if it is now operative without tripping the RCD.

If not, replace the toaster.

Having sorted out why the RCD tripped and not the MCB have a look at the toaster with it unplugged of course. Most likely a toast cinder is lodged between the element and another metal part. Remove it carefully and most likely all will work again.

Having sorted out why the RCD tripped and not the MCB have a look at the toaster with it unplugged of course. Most likely a toast cinder is lodged between the element and another metal part. Remove it carefully and most likely all will work again.
What a great idea!
But already suggested by @FrodoOne quite a while before you.

I had that once when turning on the toaster, it was a bit bashed and the handle was missing meaning you had to press down on the tiny bit of metal to turn it on. when I reset the rcd and tried again, I looked inside and found the other end of the carriage had come out of the guide and was touching the element! Didnt feel a thing though. My housemate refused to bin his toaster, so I bought a new one anyway and used that.

Toaster very thin elements that can get damaged or break down over time, this will certainly trip out if that is the case. Not worth repairing these days unless its an expensive commercial one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back