Today's Walk...

Most of the people on the street work but none are interested in the area they live in -- there is just no connection to the it

I think the concept of local community harks back to a different era.

I think society has changed, communities are different in areas of comprising of only indigenous people.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think the concept of local community harks back to a different era.

I think society has changed, communities are different in areas of comprising of only indigenous people.

I agree communities are different... I'm not talking about lending cups of sugar or leaving doors unlocks but I am talking about general integration and cohesion. Areas are becoming dominated by groups of people with little or no interest in the area.

No I am not suggesting that. The concern I am raising is that for several decades, only certain areas/suburbs of cities have seen people from outside the UK settling there. What this results in is total geographic segregation. There are many areas of Derby (for example) which have had very little change to their ethnic make up, yet others have seen a complete change to their identity.
For hundreds of years people have immigrated to the UK, and settled in little pockets. I've mentioned it before, but nobody blinks an eye over China town in London despite originally it being a slum area or when Little Italy was there. It's natural that people are drawn together in groups at the beginning isn't it? It's the next generation of those people and the generations after them that become as British as any other kid. Just some of them may have different colour skin or religion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around 6 to 7 in the morning Harlow Town centre is majorty foreign. You have the advantage of checking this out yourself one morning.
Not anymore. Was in Bishops Stortford for a few months but moved on now - no reason to go back to Harlow.

Later that day I went to buy a part.. The counter is in a container. A foreign fella starts talking to himself in English about the cost of items and the parts he's buying.

Him deep in thought.
I said to him do you think in English now. ?

I always think in English he said.

I don't speak any other language.. I'm from Zimbabwe..

O we laughed and laughed..

(Not really)

We had a good chat after that. About this that and everything else.

It's good to talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Later that day I went to buy a part.. The counter is in a container. A foreign fella starts talking to himself in English about the the cost of items and the parts he's buying.
Why did you think he was foreign, then?

I'd stop digging if I were you.

Sponsored Links
Back