Toilet frequently getting blocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An unsavoury topic, perhaps, and I apologise in advance to anyone who may have eaten recently! Our downstairs toilet seems to suddenly have started blocking very frequently. I've bought a toilet plunger, which never fails to shift the "material", and it'll be fine for a few days, then blocks again.

There's about 3-4 feet of pipe while it goes through the outside wall of the house, and then there's a manhole in the drive. There's a bush growing over it that I'll have to trim, but last time I looked in there, everything seemed pretty clear? It's almost as if whatever it is that's causing the pipe to block, is in the few feet between the toilet and the manhole?

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. The house was built in 1995. However, I'm not sure. I'll report back when I get the lid off the manhole!

Sponsored Links
Forgive me for making this a bit graphic, but is it the same person using the loo when it blocks? There might be nothing wrong with the drains, it could be "the wrong kind of poop"...

Do you have kids? Somebody might have flushed something down there they shouldn't have, could be wedged somewhere.

My missus uses loads of bog paper. Loads. I winge that it blocks the loos. I have at least convinced her that "flushable" wipes shall not go down there too. (They don't fall apart with the water flow).

Any one in your house with the above terrible habit?

Nozzle

Forgive me for making this a bit graphic, but is it the same person using the loo when it blocks? There might be nothing wrong with the drains, it could be "the wrong kind of poop"...

No, it can be anyone and seemingly and size of...y'know... Seems utterly random, other than it doesn't seem to do it with just wee.

Do you have kids? Somebody might have flushed something down there they shouldn't have, could be wedged somewhere.

Well they're 14 and 16 now, and really should know better! I kinda don't want to know the answer to this, but... how do I find out...?

Put something to catch blockages in the manhole then stick the nozzle of a jet washer round the bend of the loo?

Could be the pipes have become separated, causing a step and hence reduced capacity.

An unsavoury topic, perhaps, and I apologise in advance to anyone who may have eaten recently! Our downstairs toilet seems to suddenly have started blocking very frequently. I've bought a toilet plunger, which never fails to shift the "material", and it'll be fine for a few days, then blocks again.

There's about 3-4 feet of pipe while it goes through the outside wall of the house, and then there's a manhole in the drive. There's a bush growing over it that I'll have to trim, but last time I looked in there, everything seemed pretty clear? It's almost as if whatever it is that's causing the pipe to block, is in the few feet between the toilet and the manhole?

Roots maybe entering the drain through a joint or a crack in the pipe.

Check manhole, if all clear, I'd put some rods up the pipe towards the EC with a corkscrew attachment on the end, see if you contact anything and/or bring anything back.

If that appears clear, only other solution is to CCTV the pipe and rule out any other issues. Could even be a 'belly' (dip) in the pipe, allowing solid matter to collect, then when a bit of extra pressure is provided with a plunger, it shifts.

Does the lady of the house hang those bleach things in a plastic cage over the rim of the toilet pan and if so did one go missing around the time it all started? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back