Toilet - Where did my ball cock nut go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well we all know it went south, but where can I get a new nut from?

I suspect its M2?

20140805_195553.jpg

20140805_195614.jpg

Sponsored Links
if you mean a nut on the end of your float arm, there isn't one. There is a threaded socket in the float.

Perhaps you should start thinking about saving up for a new valve.

I think its M~something...

Threaded part pushes through the ball bracket, then something screws up against it.

Sponsored Links
if you mean a nut on the end of your float arm, there isn't one. There is a threaded socket in the float.

Perhaps you should start thinking about saving up for a new valve.

I think your right, the toilet has started to make a noise when it fills. Its sort of a high pitch whine, which we could not work out why. More noticeable when we are filling the bath/flushing the toilet at the same time.

The noise is due the washer in the fill valve vibrating......it needs renewing if you are able to dismantle the valve.
As an alternative, fit a new fill valve.
John :)

20140805_204630.jpg

Ahh..now I see.

The float arm has an adaptor on the end, as the ball cock does have clearance issues. It can be screwed directly into the float arm, however its best that its put back how it was. Whilst watching the arm, the other nut on the other end was loose. Suspect the noise/vibration might be a factor.

So...just need a new nut.. :) [/img]

The noise is due the washer in the fill valve vibrating......it needs renewing if you are able to dismantle the valve.
As an alternative, fit a new fill valve.

Thanks, if the tenant complains then we shall instruct a plumber...I think were moving into areas which I know nothing about. I can look inside a toilet, and adjust the ball cock to stop it overflowing..thats about it.

Sorry.

Not trying to be patronising here, but doesn't that extension piece just screw onto the arm, and then the ball screw on to the extension?
If a nut came adrift, it would be in the bottom of the cistern, surely?

Unfortunately not, its a nut on the end of the arm. No thread, it just slides on and off.

I could remove the arm, however I now have the adaptor to pop to a local DIY shop.

I suspect the vibration has caused the nuts to loosen... :)

Thanks for the help.

FTB.

All sorted, went to Screwfix and picked up a new Float Valve.

Managed to break down the old Float Valve and the new seal was the same as the old, so swapped it over. Put it all back together, then tried to find a nut to go on the end of the adaptor.

Unfortunately some chimp managed to shear the plastic bit threaded bit off, so that was the end of that. Managed to find a small screw and washer, then secure the adaptor in place. A bit of white sealant over the top to prevent it from corrosion and were done.

I would have swapped the float valves over, but I did not have a large enough spanner at the time, so that's one for the future..

TOP TIP --- We checked the downstairs toilet, showed my son (aged 6) how the toilet works and the overflow. We filled the top section full, however nothing was coming out of the overflow. Someone had pushed a stone, sweet wrappers up the pipe, so a good scrape and poke, then its all back to normal..

That one could have caused a right mess of the house... I wonder now if I could put something over the end of the pipe, or in the pipe to stop it in the future.. Even some screws at criss cross angles flattened off will stop stuff from going back inside..

Result!!
Just for info, new flush mechanisms have a built in overflow, so excess water goes into the pan rather than outside.
Saves a hole in the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back