Tony Ben.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tony Ben died aged 88, to honest to achieve his full potential in politics.
He was right about some things though, he said Tony Blair was the worst leader of the labour party ever and that Britain should get out of the EU.

Sponsored Links
A real 'conviction politician'?
Hard to find many who would give up privilege of a title to stay in the Commons.

yes his thoughts and beliefs stayed fairly constant and only evolved slowly unlike modern politicians who change policies to be popular regardless off how short term and damaging they can be

A true politician. I didn't always agree with his views but I respect the man for standing by them no matter what. I heard his last radio interview a few months back and he came across as a genuinely good bloke, which is rare in the politics of today.

Sponsored Links
An honest politician (if there is such a thing left) A people's politician, who wasn't afraid to say what he felt (and didn't mind which political party he upset, even Labour were the target of his venom at times) ;) ;)

Probably the best prime minster we never had.

Really!!??

He would have had us all in communes, factories would be run by worker's collectives, private property would have been abolished and we would all be working for the state in one capacity or another.

But I have to agree, as a politician he kept to his principles, was probably a likeable person, and politics will be the poorer without him.

He's also the bar steward who got rid of Radio Caroline!

Is the position of Viscount Stansgate , vacant now :?: I`m sure Tony would approve of a True Red taking it over :mrgreen:

I didn't necessarily agree with him, however as has
Been said he strove to be an MP to the extent of getting the law
changed! Could you find anyone doing that now!

RIP Antony Wedgwood Benn.

A man who spoke his mind and wasn't scared of upsetting people if he didn't agree with them.

I think most would agree with that but, aside from the topic of this thread, is speaking one's mind and upsetting people if they don't agree, necessarily a good atribute?
Sometimes, people who 'speak their minds' can be a little arrogant and not open to reason.

Providing one can give a reasoned and rational argument in support of one's view or against another, then speaking one's views is more than desirable. Benn never spoke without being able to back up his point.

Sponsored Links
Back