Too much surge protection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new CU has an SPD fitted next to the main switch. I have several extension leads which have surge protection so do I need to replace these now or is it OK to continue using them?

Sponsored Links
Consider them as "additional local protection".

You can keep using them. They might actually be useful now that you have the SPD in the consumer unit.

Previously they were next to useless.

Sponsored Links
You can keep using them. They might actually be useful now that you have the SPD in the consumer unit.

That's completely untrue. How did you arrive at that opinion?

There were in the past ( and probably still are ) sacrificial surge protectors. Their one time function was to switch ON when the voltage went above the maximum safe voltage and connect Live to Neutral for long enough for the fuse and/or MCB to react and cut off the supply.

This could damage the surge protector so best practice was to replace them after they had operated.

Can you have too much surge protection ? If the circuit is RCD protected ( Earth leakage ) then the amount of Earth leakage current created by the surge protectors could be enough to trip the RCD. Surge protectors ( or supply filters ) have capacitors between Live and Earth and between Neutral and Earth and these create Earth leakage current.

There were in the past ( and probably still are ) sacrificial surge protectors. Their one time function was to switch ON when the voltage went above the maximum safe voltage and connect Live to Neutral for long enough for the fuse and/or MCB to react and cut off the supply.

This could damage the surge protector so best practice was to replace them after they had operated.

Best practice and what normally happened was the fuse was replaced, or MCB reset, but nothing done about the surge protection.

To be honest the way SPD's are installed in CU's is next to useless also.

To be honest the way SPD's are installed in CU's is next to useless also.
As I keep saying, we now have "a solution", but a solution to a problem that I am far from convinced significantly exists - and that remains the case no matter where/how SPDs are installed.

Kind Regards, John

I suspect the same. Only a device which doesn't self destruct will survive doing it's job.
It's not that, it's the long leads connecting the device to an mcb.
So it MAY attenuate a surge.
It MAY trip the mcb.
It MAY self destruct
But what it won't do is prevent a surge getting to the outgoing circuits.

My electrician said that my leads were the cause of a low IR reading on the upstairs ring and that they could trip that RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back