Took double socket off wall and discovered 3x cables

Okay, thanks. I think I understand.

The original right ring cable goes to the first socket, the new cable connects to the first socket as well as to the second socket. The new cable connects to that socket before connecting to the corresponding colours inside Wacos, which in turn connects back to the left ring cable to complete all circuits.

Xge6rUG.jpg

IBEGXQB.jpg

Sponsored Links
Turns out the original backbox was really deep so there's at least a 2cm gap between the new backbox and the plaster.

HZBZp92.jpg
Next time a 35mm box may have been better, too late really now the wagos on.
Is the black wire in properly

Last edited:
I don't think the backbox size matters. What's the problem with having a gap? When my electricians fitted sockets in plasterboard, some had backboxes fixed to masonry 10cm into the wall and required extra long screws (the plasterboard was double layered for sound insulation).

The box provides a firebreak, at least to some extent. The problem with too shallow a box that's below the face of the plasterboard is that the wiring and connections are unshielded between the accessory and the start of the box. If ignition were to happen in the accessory or the wiring, there would be nothing to contain and extinguish a fire, or prevent it from potentially spreading up the inside face of the plasterboard. Unlikely in practice but always a possibility.

Sponsored Links
The box provides a firebreak, at least to some extent. The problem with too shallow a box that's below the face of the plasterboard is that the wiring and connections are unshielded between the accessory and the start of the box. If ignition were to happen in the accessory or the wiring, there would be nothing to contain and extinguish a fire, or prevent it from potentially spreading up the inside face of the plasterboard. Unlikely in practice but always a possibility.
Thanks for explaining the theory. Makes sense. I would be impressed if masonry and plaster/board could ignite though, there would be more chance of a plastic backbox catching fire.

Th
Next time a 35mm box may have been better, too late really now the wagos on.
Is the black wire in properly
The black cables are in properly, checked everything was tight. It's only temporary anyway until I figure out the wiring based on the diagrams provided in relation to my description and understanding.

Thanks for explaining the theory. Makes sense. I would be impressed if masonry and plaster/board could ignite though, there would be more chance of a plastic backbox catching fire.
To be honest there's no danger with masonry like you have there, the main downside being that it's more awkward to plaster or make good around a box that's too deep in the wall. The risk is there more in the plasterboard situation, particularly if it's not sealed off from draughts that could 'fan the flames'. It's a very small risk though.

Agreed. I'm hoping to get this done tomorrow. I'll wire up, test and then fix the metal trunking. Then I can see what I am working with in terms of filling. I may just fill with mortar. The plan is that the whole room will be reskimmed at some point so I just want a structural repair.

In the area around the backboxes I will be using gyproc filler.

Last edited:
Maybe too late but I would have added a deep (35mm) box below the double socket and used that as a junction box for all the Wago connectors. Removing the Wagos from the box behind the double socket would remove the crush behind the socket.

An extra blank front plate is a small price to pay for easier wiring behind the socket

I really hate blank boxes, there shouldn't be any crush with the extra space behind the socket as mentioned before.

Just for closure:

JFgJTXb.jpg

hocFsFK.jpg

It was really easy to out the socket back on the wall with the cables behind as there was plenty of space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back