Took double socket off wall and discovered 3x cables

Sponsored Links
Think you'll also find that black box uses imperial screws rather than today's 3.5mm (but that'll be he least of your worries)

Sponsored Links
If all you want is a new socket and another one next to it, just fit a 3 way or 4 way 'Converta' socket on the existing wiring.

Saves all the faff, doesn't it?

Thanks for all your replies. I really don't want a converter box that sticks out of the wall and was planning on there being a gap of about three feet in between sockets.

If the screw holes are a different size then I can either use SteelStik and tap or change the back box.

I'm pretty handy when it comes to DIY but this situation needs clarification from you guys as I need to get this right.

So I have a few questions.

I presume I should be using 2.5mm twin and earth, that the cables I install in the wall for the extension to the second socket should create a loop to and from (two cables in and out) the new socket (rather than a spur) and is there anything I should know about the chase?

Does the chase have to be a certain depth and certain dimensions? Can both cables go in the same chase or do I need to create two separate chase channels?

HZzAzCO.jpg

The wall is solid brick, I think I have everything ready for the chase and just need confirmation of the facts before I get started. I'll then get it all fitted before connecting to the mains

So after the modifications it would look like.

That's perfectly valid but getting all that in the space will be tricky, depending on where the cables run and how much chasing out you're comfortable with and how much decorating etc, this would be preferable:
upload_2020-7-2_11-33-56.png

EDIT: Hands up I hadn't seen there was a second page. Scrub my drawing:cry:
While you're changing the orininal back box set it deeper in the wall. I'd go for a deeper size.

Last edited:
they will be the imperial equivalent of ~4mm. Which is significantly bigger.
They will be 7/0.029" which equates to <3mm. HistoricallyI've always fount it easier to get 3 or 4 in a terminal than 3 or 4 2.5mm²

That's perfectly valid but getting all that in the space will be tricky, depending on where the cables run and how much chasing out you're comfortable with and how much decorating etc, this would be preferable:View attachment 197716

EDIT: Hands up I hadn't seen there was a second page. Scrub my drawing:cry:
While you're changing the orininal back box set it deeper in the wall. I'd go for a deeper size.

That's a good idea to give me as much space as possible, how deep?

Am I right in thinking I am creating a loop and will one chase fit both cable lengths/is that acceptable?

jWSeEso.jpg

Once I figure out the other cables, isnt that wiring already considered a spur so I need to keep it in the circuit?

Once I figure out the other cables, isnt that wiring already considered a spur so I need to keep it in the circuit?
Sorry, haven't read it all and missed the fact that it had three cables.

One of the cables will be a spur, but you can add another if you can get them all in.
If you can't then you will have to extend the ring as you said. You will obviously have to get the right two cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back