Tool questions

I'm not sure why you're considering buying tools if you don't know what they're used for.
What about buying tools when you know what they are for but dont know if you will ever need them?

Sponsored Links
If you use it as a general punch to mark stuff or make holes you will destroy the hollow point
As an aside you probably wouldnt on softwood, but, basically, would anybody do that, seeing as how they dont have points? Its not like a proper centre punch costs a lot of money.

Your not even that good!!!

Calling yourself a tradesman/handyman and doing very bad work for customers only for you to come on a DIY site asking questions on how to do it. Cowboy builder comes to mind.

Andy
I don't know what you are talking about.

Keitai did some fantastic alterations to my wardrobes, he cut down the height of the doors and honestly you can't even see where it was done.

Keitai did some fantastic alterations to my wardrobes, he cut down the height of the doors and honestly you can't even see where it was done.
Well, he couldnt, thats forsure...

Sponsored Links

"Keitai did some fantastic alterations to my wardrobes, he cut down the height of the doors and honestly you can't even see where it was done".

Said Stevie Wonder. :LOL:

No. The bigger head nails don't need to sit inside the hollow. Just make sure you centre it on the nail head and strike it vertically. If you are not holding it vertically it may slide off and damage the surrounding wood.
So no need for a wider or bigger nail punch? I

Last edited:
Stanley do three sizes. The largest can even be used for small oval nails... Bahco do 4 sizes, Starret do 5... I think

So no need for a wider or bigger nail punch? I

No, I've always found the 3 standard sizes are sufficient. Then again, I don't use nails a lot unless it's for rough form work or casing where the nail heads are flush will be eventually covered.

Which is better 15cm, 30cm or 45cm for bacho set square?
As a DIYer over the years.
I now have
2x 150cm combination Bacho Squares
1x 30cm Bacho combination square.
4x standard squares of various lengths from 6" to 18" from 1970's
2x Roofing Squares - 7' & 12" Metric & Imperial
1x 24" x 12" square, Metric & Imperial
1x 24" adjustable Square 0 to 95 degree (Lidl)

As a DIYer over the years.
I now have
2x 150cm combination Bacho Squares
1x 30cm Bacho combination square.
4x standard squares of various lengths from 6" to 18" from 1970's
2x Roofing Squares - 7' & 12" Metric & Imperial
1x 24" x 12" square, Metric & Imperial
1x 24" adjustable Square 0 to 95 degree (Lidl)
Impressive.

Regarding above pixs. I know hole punches are not used for big headed nails
It was just to give scale. The nail positioned up to the punch (in pix)was the smallest I could find. I just seemed to remember the one I borrowed being bigger than the biggest Stanley one but could be wrong. I thought the nails have to be small enough to fit INSIDE the punch not same size

Impressive.
Not really, just purchased them over the years as i needed them, often on deals , purchased since 1979 , upto last Saturday for the 1x 24" x 12" square, Metric & Imperial, while making a Window seat box / Toy Box and needed to square up large space for doors on the top.

How would I get these 5mm (approx) nails below surface before filling then painting on architraves
20210524_112335.jpg
20210524_112330.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back