Tools I need

Thanks so much. I will have a look. I never know if the multi-kits are good value or not. Thanks for the help, Graham
I agree, often need to look closely at what is actually included and how much to buy seperately as BARE unit , But also needs to include the T-Stak box which are great
Having said that , I purchased a very large stanley box, on offer, which holds my Cordless, Circular saw, Jigsaw, Planer, Grinder, right-angle Drill , blades batteries and charger - all in 1 box. The multitool came in its own box and i modified the Drill T-Stak box to take the Drill, Impact driver on top of foam and the all the bits, and adapter in the bottom - which works well , as just 1 box then for all that stuff

Sponsored Links
Thing is with that kit I have a good drill and impact driver so the other tools would be too expensive for £999. I could always sell them as bare though. It is food for thought. Thanks eta.

Calm down Graham, you are the one asking what tools to buy to become a handyman.

Andy

I am perfectly calm, but thanks for the concern. I find comments like yours unnecessary. You were the one telling me I needed to buy a DIY 'how to do it' book. A completely different theme to what I was enquiring about. I was asking about Pro tools. You were the one who wrongly assumed I was a troll then after that was rectified continued in your pursuit to attempt to undermine me and my ability. None of which you know anything about. Don't be rude to newcomers perhaps. It is people like you who stop progress and stop others learning. What are these forums for if not to learn? I have done nothing wrong, I asked about professional tools and your sarcastic comments were not called for.

Sponsored Links
Thing is with that kit I have a good drill and impact driver
What do you have now ? you mentioned corded
If you already have good quality cordless, then that system may be worth keeping to - and therefore what make

I think in someone elses home, cordless would be easier , having had lots of tradesman in , mostly use cordless BUT when they have needed to use a corded tool , end up with a great extension lead in house or if outside all over the outside, so I think you may find cordless will be easier for you when workin in someone elses home and not having cables trip hazards around

Corded drill (I have an SDS but need something smaller)
Circular Saw, corded or cordless
Jigsaw
(angle grinder, hammers, saws, tool boxes, etc) I may even buy a table saw and planer too it is takes off)

Having used a both types of Circular saw , i would go cordless everytime now
May want to think about a Sliding mitre saw

Also don't forget to get any liability insurance

What do you have now ? you mentioned corded
If you already have good quality cordless, then that system may be worth keeping to - and therefore what make

I think in someone elses home, cordless would be easier , having had lots of tradesman in , mostly use cordless BUT when they have needed to use a corded tool , end up with a great extension lead in house or if outside all over the outside, so I think you may find cordless will be easier for you when workin in someone elses home and not having cables trip hazards around

Having used a both types of Circular saw , i would go cordless everytime now
May want to think about a Sliding mitre saw

I agree. I have a Milwaukee Drill and Driver and also a Makita SDS. I just find the Makita larger for the smaller jobs, and heavy. Just recovering from cancer so need to build up my core strength. I am trying to get back into the swing of things, albeit slowly. The Makita was a gift but it is very heavy if you're holding it for any time. I need to go cordless really for safety but needed to take into consideration the other tools I need. (table saw, router) of which I know what I am getting, it was just the jigsaw and percussion drill I wasn't as I am not used to using them but thought the jigsaw was a must and very handy Thanks

It is people like you who stop progress and stop others learning. What are these forums for if not to learn?

You have come on a DIY site to ask what Pro tools to buy to then do work as a handyman....................who is the cowboy.?

Andy

Milwaukee Drill and Driver
are these cordless ? 12v 18v range ?
Milwaukee i would consider along with Dewalt, PRO use (But only a DIYer) Most of the tradesman i have had in , kitchen, bathroom, windows, roof , loft , sparks, plumber etc - most have used the cordless Dewalt range , and a few with MAKITA
The windows guys, had the 18V Dewalt range but also the smaller 10.8V range for a lot of the general maintenance , hinges, locks etc, small lighter and just as reliable and tough (their comment not mine)

maybe look at extending the Milwaukee cordless range, Planer , Jigsaw etc , brushless

Its been interesting talking to the trades about their choice of power tools

What type of handyman, what sort of work getting involved with
Sliding Mitre saw can be useful on your list

Maybe worth a read
https://besttoolreview.net/dewalt-vs-milwaukee-vs-makita/
https://www.drillanddriver.com/dewalt-vs-makita-vs-milwaukee-cordless-drill-driver-review/
loads on youtube too

Last edited:
You have come on a DIY site to ask what Pro tools to buy to then do work as a handyman....................who is the cowboy.?

Andy

Andy, do you need a hug? Are you a worksite bully?

So I asked what professional drill it the latest and best to buy and you've assumed I am a cowboy. Ok Andy, ok.

Yup! I asked about tools. I didn't say I was inept at DIY. I didn't say I was taking on jobs I couldn't do. I didn't say it was my main job, I asked about TOOLS Andy and you refer to me as a cowboy, and yet you know nothing about me. You are really boring me now. Now, who is trolling?

Milwaukee i would consider along with Dewalt, PRO use (But only a DIYer) Most of the tradesman i have had in , kitchen, bathroom, windows, roof , loft , sparks, plumber etc - most have used the cordless Dewalt range , and a few with MAKITA
The windows guys, had the 18V Dewalt range but also the smaller 10.8V range for a lot of the general maintenance , hinges, locks etc, small lighter and just as reliable and tough (their comment not mine)

maybe look at extending the Milwaukee cordless range, Planer , Jigsaw etc , brushless

Maybe worth a read
https://www.drillanddriver.com/dewalt-vs-makita-vs-milwaukee-cordless-drill-driver-review/
loads on youtube too

I have an Evolution Sliding mitre saw but wouldn't use it on a job. I have family asking me, friends, nothing too big and I wouldn't take on anything I wasn't competent in doing but my old tools are past their best. I just didn't want to buy more cheap tools that are not going to last.

Maybe worth a read
loads on youtube too
It is the Milwaukee M18v combi drill and driver, trying to post a pic but don't know how. I will have a look at those sites, many thanks

I have an Evolution Sliding mitre saw but wouldn't use it on a job.
Reason why not - OLD and not cutting accurately , I have a Dewalt SMS and my son-in-law purchased the Evolution , we used my saw to install a laminate floor across the whole ground floor and return, hallway, lounge , dinning room and return back to hallway , and with a freud blade worked really well. Son-in-law (very fussy on tools) has since used hes to add all the skirting board and plinths - worked really well.

He also has Dewalt for home DIY and the Milwaukee M18v tools for car, only reason not all Milwaukee M18v has been the cost , which is much higher

Is the Milwaukee M18v combi drill past it now then or given your health too heavy
Just trying to get an idea of what you want to do and why

My brother was asked by friends and relatives to fit kitchens & bathrooms, and for quite a few years did a lot of private work

Perhaps some idea of the work you have been asked to do, and what you would be prepared to do

I just had an email from toolstation saving 40% on some hand tools over the bankholiday weekend

My son-in-law also has a lot of Wera tools, which are also really good screwdrivers etc

More options, "upload a file" , just make sure the image is small size a pixels - maybe the default one may be too large

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back