Tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started training, as part of a career change, to become an electrician and feel I should invest in a good set of tools to see me through college and well into my new career.
Could anyone please advise on selection, type, make, where to buy, etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Dont bother.
Buy crap.
After a while you will suss out the tools you use most, you will disregard the crap, and thus invest in decent tools.
A little tip, when you leave a job dont double check....Triple check

Best tool I have ever purchased.
CK tools, cable stripper.
Saves me hours on second fix.
Cost £10

Go to car boot sales and buy old tools that look like they have been used. Don't buy from the stalls selling new tools as they will most likely fail the first time you use them. You will obviously need good screwdrivers, wire cutters and long nose pliers as they will be used on pretty much every job. Don't expect more than a year out of a cross head screwdriver though, they all wear out.

Sponsored Links
fido said:
Go to car boot sales and buy old tools that look like they have been used..
And hope that when you arrive on site it doesn't turn out that the tools were nicked from someone there....

Ban, you old cynic.

Are you suggesting that car boot sales are the outlets for all those tools the fairies and goblins, spirit away in dark wee hours?

Qedelec,

Do you have a link to this tool as I see several different ones. Christmas is coming ! :D

Oscar I have been trying to find it on the net without success.
I purchased mine from a great shop in Birminfgham called Toolman where items are stacked in the aisles.

Its a one handed tool that grips the sleeving in two places and them pulls them appart, stripping off the outer.
Mail me at my profile addy and I'll try and take a picture to mail you.

:?:

p1143371_x.jpg

p1594332_x.jpg

:?:

ban-all-sheds said:
That looks neat - shame it doesn't have exchangeable jaws to do other sizes.

There's another product on that website that would suit a lot of the people over on the Screwfix forum - never mind what it actually is, just look at the description http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=TL02430&N=411[/QUOTE]

actually, they can stirp 2.5 perfectly (since there designde for it) and they can also strip 3C+E and 1.5 it doesnt score it as much, but it gets the job done

Its great having all the best makes of tools but they are expensive and other people and places like them too. So, get them marked up with your name and have some cheaper ones to use in case yours go missing. Time on a job is important so looking for a lost tool is wasteful. Having spares allows you to get the job done. Then look for it.

I've often wondered if part of the reason that people on site use those belt tool pouches is not only because they need loads of tools instantly to hand but because it makes it harder for some **** to nick them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back