1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Toothbrush charger socket ensuite

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by danoid, 29 Nov 2021.

1. danoid

danoid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In our en suite we have a shaver socket, been using it for years but today I heard a loud buzzing whilst charging the toothbrush. I moved the cable around and it went back to the normal quiet hum, but has got me a bit worried so would like to replace.

I found an MK toothbrush and saver socket in white for a reasonable price, but when looking at the metal ones (have metal plate now) the prices goes up to stupid money for no obvious reason.

Does anyone know where a metal one can be purchased for a reasonable cost, the metal one I saw on screwfix is £85 and must be made from solid gold, I was hoping it would be around £30.

thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    385FT screwfix £19.99 shaver only, or 222FF £63.09 shaver and tooth brush, the main difference one is intermittent rated the other continuous rated, I have never seen a tooth brush where it needs to be plugged in to use it, but have seen a shaver where it needs plugging in to use it.

So tooth brush charged in bedroom, and used in bathroom, shaver used in bathroom.

4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Transformers sometimes buzz. Nothing to worry about.

5. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The main difference is the price. I have charged toothbrushes in sockets marked 'shaver only' for years with no problems. A toothbrush on charge takes far less power than a shaver in use.

6. danoid

danoid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It’s seems crazy the price difference, that’s more my problem as I’m stingy but that is my problem
    The noise it made today was very loud, I’m hoping the lead somehow moved making that noise but made me think of it somehow moves again and made that noise whilst we’re out would it basically blow up. Now that’s in my mind I’ll have to change it.

I think I’ll replace it with a white plastic one, won’t look as good but so much cheaper.

If I can find the same brand I wouldn’t be surprised if I could just swap over the covers tbh

7. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No.

8. danoid

danoid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah that’s good to know, normally it’s like hmmm, but that point today was HMMMMMMMM, then when I moved the cable around in the socket it stopped then if I moved it more it came back.

Basically feels like the sockets got wider over the years as it’s not snug fit, I’ll put it in the 115v and see if that’s a snug fit.

I must admit I love the idea of the proofvision dock and not bad priced either

9. BS3036

BS3036

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I looked at one of those (with the extra shaver socket), but then thought about how the toothbrush charger base looks after a few months of toothpaste dripping onto it, however careful you are. When it's a separate item it's easy to change when it gets really foul.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The socket has a switch in it, so with plug in charger even no load it can warm up.

12. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Very slightly though. Some shavers have (had) a switch as well and I have found such shavers permanently plugged in to a shaver socket showing a slight warmth.

13. JP_

JP_

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  14. JP_

JP_

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Takes about 2 seconds to wipe them clean.

15. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Where do you put the toothbrush when it is not charging? Because they should not be left on charge 24/7.

16. JP_

JP_

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We keep ours on the shelf below the charger. But before I got the wall charger I was using a £18 shaver socket from screwfix, and a weekly overnight charge was enough to cause heat and buzzing.

17. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    the brush can easily be washed after use. I put them in the basin of warm water before the saliva and toothpaste can dry and harden

AFAIK they are all designed to be used in bathrooms and to get wet, and are waterproof.

I have seen grimy brushes and chargers in other homes.