Toothbrush charger socket ensuite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our en suite we have a shaver socket, been using it for years but today I heard a loud buzzing whilst charging the toothbrush. I moved the cable around and it went back to the normal quiet hum, but has got me a bit worried so would like to replace.

I found an MK toothbrush and saver socket in white for a reasonable price, but when looking at the metal ones (have metal plate now) the prices goes up to stupid money for no obvious reason.

Does anyone know where a metal one can be purchased for a reasonable cost, the metal one I saw on Screwfix is £85 and must be made from solid gold, I was hoping it would be around £30.

thanks

Sponsored Links
385FT Screwfix £19.99 shaver only, or 222FF £63.09 shaver and tooth brush, the main difference one is intermittent rated the other continuous rated, I have never seen a tooth brush where it needs to be plugged in to use it, but have seen a shaver where it needs plugging in to use it.

So tooth brush charged in bedroom, and used in bathroom, shaver used in bathroom.

In our en suite we have a shaver socket, been using it for years but today I heard a loud buzzing whilst charging the toothbrush. I moved the cable around and it went back to the normal quiet hum, but has got me a bit worried so would like to replace.
Transformers sometimes buzz. Nothing to worry about.

385FT Screwfix £19.99 shaver only, or 222FF £63.09 shaver and tooth brush, the main difference one is intermittent rated the other continuous rated, I have never seen a tooth brush where it needs to be plugged in to use it, but have seen a shaver where it needs plugging in to use it.
The main difference is the price. I have charged toothbrushes in sockets marked 'shaver only' for years with no problems. A toothbrush on charge takes far less power than a shaver in use.

Sponsored Links

So tooth brush charged in bedroom, and used in bathroom, shaver used in bathroom.
It’s seems crazy the price difference, that’s more my problem as I’m stingy but that is my problem
Transformers sometimes buzz. Nothing to worry about.
The noise it made today was very loud, I’m hoping the lead somehow moved making that noise but made me think of it somehow moves again and made that noise whilst we’re out would it basically blow up. Now that’s in my mind I’ll have to change it.

I think I’ll replace it with a white plastic one, won’t look as good but so much cheaper.

If I can find the same brand I wouldn’t be surprised if I could just swap over the covers tbh

Ah that’s good to know, normally it’s like hmmm, but that point today was HMMMMMMMM, then when I moved the cable around in the socket it stopped then if I moved it more it came back.

Basically feels like the sockets got wider over the years as it’s not snug fit, I’ll put it in the 115v and see if that’s a snug fit.

I must admit I love the idea of the proofvision dock and not bad priced either

I must admit I love the idea of the proofvision dock and not bad priced either
I looked at one of those (with the extra shaver socket), but then thought about how the toothbrush charger base looks after a few months of toothpaste dripping onto it, however careful you are. When it's a separate item it's easy to change when it gets really foul.

The socket has a switch in it, so with plug in charger even no load it can warm up.
Very slightly though. Some shavers have (had) a switch as well and I have found such shavers permanently plugged in to a shaver socket showing a slight warmth.

I bought this over a year ago, works brilliantly, no noise, no heat, just works all the time with no problem.

in-Wall Electronic Toothbrush Charger by ProofVision
31XDjdbN9CL._AC_.jpg

Much neater than having toothbrush charger cables too.

I looked at one of those (with the extra shaver socket), but then thought about how the toothbrush charger base looks after a few months of toothpaste dripping onto it, however careful you are. When it's a separate item it's easy to change when it gets really foul.

Takes about 2 seconds to wipe them clean.

Where do you put the toothbrush when it is not charging? Because they should not be left on charge 24/7.

We keep ours on the shelf below the charger. But before I got the wall charger I was using a £18 shaver socket from Screwfix, and a weekly overnight charge was enough to cause heat and buzzing.

the brush can easily be washed after use. I put them in the basin of warm water before the saliva and toothpaste can dry and harden

AFAIK they are all designed to be used in bathrooms and to get wet, and are waterproof.

I have seen grimy brushes and chargers in other homes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back