Top up boiler pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, wondering if you could help. Our boiler pressure is at about 0.5/0.4 and is in need off topping up. Problem is I can't figure out how to top it up. Now about 3 years ago when we moved in the system was fully drained and I refilled then but for the life of me now I can't remember how I filled it. There's a filling loop which isn't in your typical location it's on some pipework much further down. So the the cold feed goes up and has an isolation valve from this the filling loop is connected. This travels up to a pipe on the left and looks like it feeds into a one way check valve (think this is correct name). So I opened up the isolation valve and nothing. So I think is it either a blocked isolation valve or is the check valve faulty. Or am I missing something really simple. Cheers for any help

Sponsored Links
Open the isolation valve and give the check valve a tap (gently) they can stick if not used in a while.

You are correct in thinking the braided hose is the filling loop the lower valve is the isolation one screwdriver slot across the pipe off and quarter turn leaving the screwdriver slot along the pipe is on.

Top install of a top boiler, shame you never needed a manufacturers visit when it was first installed,you could have had a real treat, and saved a fortune on your gas bills

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Will try the tapping method in the morning. I guess I can just unscrew from check valve to check the iso valve is working...over a bucket of course. Yeah not exactly the most sound of installs is it. Thin will end up boxing this mess in till we can afford a new one

Sadly tapping didn't work. I tapped a few times then opened iso valve hear a rush of water then after a few seconds just went quiet and pressure never went up. So either it's the check valve or I guess I could have a faulty pressure gauge?

Sadly tapping didn't work. I tapped a few times then opened iso valve hear a rush of water then after a few seconds just went quiet and pressure never went up. So either it's the check valve or I guess I could have a faulty pressure gauge?

Is there a pipe dripping outside? You may have a blocked gauge and the boiler is over pressurised.

Had a quick look and the prv release pipe is dry, took me a sec to find it though as it wasn't at the back of the boiler but was at floor level on the left of boiler outside. So I think this is the faulty valve, what's the screw for? Guess it's a case of fully draining system changing valve and adding inhibitor again? Could I just drain from below boiler then I don't have to empty the whole system.

Attachments

• 14941582274351174024248.jpg
    14941582274351174024248.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 93
are you sure that both valves at each end of the filling loop are open

Both valves? I only have on iso valve the other is a one way check valve

Yep, drop the pressure out of the boiler and get a few rags round it. If you hear it start to gurgle then speed up.

don't be tempted to drop the pressure through the PRV though it will almost certainly leak for ever after that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back