Tracing a suspect pipe path and finding a leak

You could claim on your insurance if you like.

They would probably send their contractor to dig up the gully and line the drain down to the next junction.

That's what I do for work.

Sponsored Links
A CCTV survey may pinpoint obvious defects in the system, but even then I would guarantee 100% fixing those will solve the issue. If the pipework is pretty solid, (i.e. no major dips, collapses, missing sections), you may get away with getting it lined, which will just involves digging a hole to access the run to insert and cure the liner. I'd replace the gulley pot as a matter of course, to ensure a belt and braces job.

Should the pipe prove to be in poor condition, or lining not feasible or cost effective, then excavation and replacement maybe the only option.

I am unsure as to why he's questioning the ownership of the gulley. Any drain on your property, that serves only your property, is your responsibility. Once it passes under the boundary, or another property connects into it, or it take flow from another property under your property, it becomes the Water Co's responsibility.

Hello everyone. I'm ever so sorry for not being in touch sooner. I've been very stressed with this situation. Basically since I last posted on this forum, I've had 2 drain hoppers and u-bend gullys replaced with new clay versions. Both old gulleys were found to have some damage. However here's the issue...the water still hasn't stopped and this time no colour is coming out of any gullys at all so they can't be blamed anymore.

It's possible that the reason we saw the colours come through before because not only did we have broken gullys, but also ground water coming through from elsewhere.

To be honest I'm thinking of taking time-off work as I am so so stressed. Even the water co. is baffled as they can't find any other issue.

I was thinking to get a pump to drain the water out of the basement, but this won't help as the water is washing away the clay under the footing stones. It has made the clay under the footing stones so soft that I can push my finger through it....what if it causes a serious problem with the property?

Is there any way I can divert water away from the property, considering the water leaking is under the footing/foundation stones which are approx 1 metres underground?

Any other ideas?

Firstly, don't take time off work with stress. You'll be a hell of a lot more stressed if you end up losing your job and don't have any money coming in.

Secondly, give it time. If a drainage pipe has been leaking for some time the ground will be saturated. It may take some months for the water to make its way out again. Fill the hole with sand if it's washing the clay out from under your footings.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, don't take time off work with stress. You'll be a hell of a lot more stressed if you end up losing your job and don't have any money coming in.

Secondly, give it time. If a drainage pipe has been leaking for some time the ground will be saturated. It may take some months for the water to make its way out again. Fill the hole with sand if it's washing the clay out from under your footings.

Thanks Lower,

I did think the same that it might be a case that the ground water might take time to clear, but the amount of water coming through can clearly be seen, with the drips running at a fast rate. Wouldn't you say that this is ground water?

Lower is right, give it some time for the water to clear but keep up with the dye tests.

Did they CCTV once the old gully were out? Have you got a picture of the new ones?

Your gullies were leaking. Are your neighbour's drains the same age as yours, and nearby?

Yes the neighbour's gullies are of similar age. However their gullies and storm drain have already been tested, but no colour came out at all. Also I've been told by the water company that my gullies are totally separate from the neighbour's. No other gullies nearby.

The CCTV guys might be a while due to high demand....1-2 weeks, but they will definitely be checking it.

Here's the new gully:
View media item 100471
Here's the water leaking:
View media item 100472

I don't mind waiting guys, but surely being winter and current storms, the ground will almost all the time be saturated with water?

Also for now, does the sand go under the footing stone or shall I use the original excavated clay?

Ideally for back filling you should use hardcore and compact it with one of those heavy sticks. But in this case you're just trying to create enough pressure on the clay to keep it in place against the water.
It's not generally a good idea to keep holes below your foundation open longer than necessary because wet clay is plastic in nature.
If it were me I'd probably chuck the original clay back in, maybe mixed with sand to give it a bit more substance. But I'm not sure what others would recommend

It could well be that having the hole there, it's allowing the water to collect in it, so cutting the bottom out of a large cake tin, and setting it in the hole with a cheap submersible pump to take out the water as it collects may help drain the excess water out of the ground.

Thanks John. The problem is that the water will simply keep rising and also how will this help with resolving the original problem?

how long have you been living here ? after how long did you notice water ? do you live at a bottom of a hill ? a wider picture of the land of where the water is forming in conjunction to you home ( whole house if poss ) might give better clue of what is going on

I've been here for 2 years. I noticed the patch this January, but since it was hidden away under a workbench, it could have been there much longer. I actually live on top of a hill. There are a few houses at slightly higher elevation than mine.

I'll try to get a 3d picture of the house/landscape, but will need a bit of time to create it

Just a quick update to let you know that the cctv survey has been done, but no defects found. Also the water which had totally stopped after the last downpour, started again today shortly after Storm Brian's heavy rain.

So it sounds like just water in the ground.
As long as you've done all the usual precautions about sloping ground away from the house and draining properly, I think you're best to fill in the hole properly and leave it as is. You can make sure there's good ventilation down there to stop it building up, in the worst case you'd need to pump out but it would be a last resort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back