Tracing a suspect pipe path and finding a leak

It can filter clean through the ground, kitchen waste smells worse than toilet waste.

Sponsored Links
You mean the water would filter to the point where it's clean and clear?

Wow.... I never knew that.

Tonight after everyone has gone to sleep, I'll put a teaspoon down the wc. Now how many times shall I flush it after that?

Sponsored Links
Flush once, should be enough. You need to allow the dye chance to show itself, not wash it all away.

Soils and sands make good filter media. A septic tank allows solid matter to settle out, the resulting clarified effluent is usually discharged into a soakaway system to allow the soil to do the rest.

you can put some dye in the cistern to reduce the risk that clean water will wash it away.

Hi guys,

Really sorry for not getting back to you. Unfortunately no dye has shown. However, after some rain last night, I've had water seep under the footing stones. I decided to call the water company, whom were very helpful. They sent out their engineers within a few hours of my call. They did their own dye tests in each gulley and still no dye showing. Even the engineer was a little unsure and took a sample of the water for analysis. He advised someone will check the lead pipe coming upto the property to eliminate any leaks.

This is very stressful. I will let you know of any further updates.

Where did you put the red?

If you did, for example, red in your kitchen gully and green in your toilet. If you only get red it must be leaking between the kitchen gully and it's junction where it joins the toilet drain.

Either way, getting dye through is a good result. If you only used the 1 colour in a few drains you will have to go back to Screwfix for another colour or 2 so you can isolate the leaking drain. Green is my favourite.

This dye was put in, not by me, but by the water company. I have 3 drains and he put i think green in one and red in two of them. He also put a black and blue dye in the neighbours storm drain and gulleys. Since they've now narrowed it to 2 gulleys on my property, they are coming out tomorrow to redo the dye test, but this time it'll be different colours for the 2 suspect gulleys.

You won't believe it!!

I woke up this morning to find red dye showing in the cellar!

What do you make of that???

I do believe it, hence why we told you to do a dye test!

Funnily enough we tell folks things for a reason on here, we're not all a bunch of amateurs. ;)

I do believe it, hence why we told you to do a dye test!

Funnily enough we tell folks things for a reason on here, we're not all a bunch of amateurs. ;)

Sorry mate. I wasn't trying to suggest you were amateurs at all, lol. I was just really shocked at the length of time it took for the dye which showed up after a good 15-20hrs... Especially when even the water company had assumed it was ground water.

I really do appreciate all your advice and help.

When you've been around drainage for as long as I have, you learn never to assume anything. Some people even think water (and sh!t) flows uphill....

I worked on my first big sewer job, aged 16, and found out even the guys who had designed the replacement scheme, had failed to notice they were actually 2 storm sewers coming down the road, crossing each other. The fact that there was a reasonable flow of water through a manhole at one point, which didn't appear in the next manhole down, but reappeared further down the road, and the pipe size had dropped by 3" in the 'dry' manhole, before going backup again further down, didn't occur to them. I dye tested and soon proved a point....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back