Tracing a suspect pipe path and finding a leak

Thanks Nige and Hugh. I totally agree with what you guys have said. But if you notice, this thread is now spanning over 5 pages....surely that tells you something about me? ....I'm not one to give up :rolleyes:

Now if we can just eliminate the gutter that's causing all these issues, then at least we can have a dry cellar.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I suggested getting the drains surveyed on page 1. Personally, given the fact you've now ascertained it is a drainage issue, that survey is even more imperative, to establish the condition of the rest of the system. You could replace the gulley or section where the dye test is showing a problem, and still find it hasn't 100% cured the issue.

A lot of drains of that vintage are probably far from watertight, (some drains a lot newer are too, but that's another story), however, they dont often manifest themselves as the water simply soaks into the ground. Only when damp, subsidence or a root infestation draws attention to the issue, is any remedial work carried out. Assuming the system is otherwise in fairly good condition, lining of the existing system may be beneficial to prevent any further leakage, and provide long term structural support to the pipework, rather than complete replacement.

Hugh, yes you're correct as you did state earlier to have the drains surveyed. But you have to remember, that in this game there are a lot of cowboys and it's hard to trust many people. For example the guy I got to do the private cctv survey lied to me and said that my drain pipes were going into the neighbour's storm drain. However when the expert from the water company attended, he advised that actually my drains are totally separate and in fact the drainage maps that I originally purchased at the time of buying this property are mapped incorrectly - He proved this by showing me a cctv survey. The same cowboy also said that one of my gulley pipes looked a bit dislodged and it would need fixing at a cost of £1000, but the water company expert said it was absolutely fine.

I'm expecting the water company to attend today evening for further dye test and also to listen for any lead pipe leaks and will let you know the outcome as soon as I can.

BTW, is it easy to replace the top of the gulley (assuming this is the issue) or would I be better off calling in an expert??

Very easy. You could mortar the old one back in place or fit a new plastic one.

Sponsored Links
I personally would swap it for an Osma 4D900. Dig the gully up to find its connection to the first section of horizontal drain, cut the clay pipe with a grinder then connect the new gully with an AC4000 bandseal.

Dye test it to make sure no leaks before you back fill and reinstate.

Thanks Ian. It seems the Osma is made of plastic. Since this is a driveway, will it be able to take the weight of a couple of ton vehicle? If not, what can I do to safeguard it?

Unfortunately some companies are simply out to rip people off, but in fairness, you can get that in any trade. You'll need to find someone you can trust or you'll never get anything done. Asking for recommendations is one method, and check reviews online before employing someone. I know of one small company that has today been kicked off the subcontractor list for a national franchise company, as they have refused to levy the prices they have been told to charge!

If you're happy to replace the gulley, go for it, but I'd confirm with the Water Co. guys where exactly the problem is, before replacing random sections. Plastic gulley will be fine, as long as you aren't driving over it? Just surround it with some concrete to provide strength and protection. If you are going to be driving over it, then I'd look at a clay gulley with a metal grid.

As promised, I've had the water company guys out. The disappointing thing is that this guy was very difficult to deal with. He's ended up putting a green dye in one gulley and yellow in the second one.

Now have a look at the picture belong. The issue is that I can't tell if this is yellow or green....can you???

View media item 100438

Dye-testing.jpg

Pretty sure that's yellow. Green is green, believe me. :LOL:

Don't know, that could be much greener today. Yellow is the worst and too close to green. Although it was good of them to investigate your private section he should really of used green and blue.
IMG_3524.JPG

That bright green or blue certainly haven't shown and even the hint of yellow has now disappeared by morning. What is even more baffling is that if it's that colour we see in the photo is a yellow dye, then how has it travelled UPHILL into the side of the house???? :-

View media item 100440

Buy some of your own dye and dye one gully every day for a week then move onto the next gully with a different colour. May take time but at least you will know for sure where to start digging.

Andy

That is the plan Andy, but whilst they are still doing their tests, I feel it's best to wait until these are complete.

Hi guys,

Just an update that the water co. may have possibly found the gully as the green dye is now clearly showing in the basement. Being honest this guy who came down was a proper $%!@ and gave me a real hard time and stress - He seemed to have some sort of a grudge or problem with the previous guys who had already been out and he took out his frustration on me. I also think he further damaged the u-bend because he couldn't get the cctv around it and kept on smacking it. I did ask him to calm down, but he said if it's broken, then what difference does it make if it breaks a little further. I couldn't believe the cheek, but I kept quiet just to avoid a serious confrontation.

Anyway, he's requested further tests and also asked the department to look into who owns that gully because he wasn't a 100% sure. This gully and pipework runs straight across my garden, so it would be a very big job to dig that out.

If I am responsible and need to do the repairs myself, how will I work out if it's the square hopper or the storm/sewer pipe itself?

If it turns out to sewer pipe, would I need to dig a trench along the garden or is there an easier way?

View media item 100441

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back