Tracker On Work Van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've just had a tracker fitted on my van :cry:

,Whilst i can understand some of the reasons behind this i.e cheaper insurance,keeping an eye on where you are etc i was wondering if anybody else here has a tracker fitted by an employer to their van and if there are any 'things' i need to be aware of? I pay tax on the van,so i can use it for personal/out of hours use.Can i be questioned about these activities if it isn't during work hours.
Im sure over time i'll think of more scenarios :rolleyes:

THANKS

Sponsored Links
its not the tracker thats the problem, its what the people do with the information from traker.

Jaffa72, why have you gone to so and so?

Jaffa72 why did you leave your house late?

Jaffa72 what were you doing in so and so street thats the local red light area

Jaffa72 why are you going home early?

Jaffa72 why can we not see your signal?

The list goes on and on.

One blokes sad it was sitting at home, even though his van was in the car park outside as he and the boss were looking at it.

Another time some one was driving across the channel, no not under it, on it.

it really depends what your bosses plan to do with it. they may have just the option of, this vans been stolen switch tracker on

The points you made were the ones im (not so) worried about....
I think that because its just a new thing to the company and affecting about 25 vans we're going to be watched/scrutinised more in the early weeks.....time will tell.

As for the "why were you cruising the red light area?" im not aware of any such places local to where i live :oops: :cool:

i never said where you live :LOL:

(but then you could say "how do you know Sir?"

Sponsored Links
HA HA :LOL:

i could always blame my dodgy sat nav for taking me the wrong way:cool:

I thought that the anti theft tracker was only activated if the vehicle was stolen and that the other monitoring as in why where you 10 mins late leaving for work stuff was done via your mobile phone.

Ive been informed from work that they can watch my every move with the device that's fitted......

they can indeed.
a company i work with has them fitted to their vans.saw a fitter in a right mood a few weeks ago,asked him why,they switched the tracker on.then
they phoned him and said"why are you in harlesden when your supposed to be in neasden"?

to which he replied "im down the fackin wholesalers"

he was livid

'kin trackers.. employers should go the whole hog.

its good enough for pets

I think some agencies are missing a trick here.

Ive got some websites.....

chipyourtardyplumber.com

yourchipsareupyoulazyfekker.com

etc. :LOL:

its all about perspective and point of view, we have over 300 vans and the new ones being purchased will have tracker when they come with the others getting them fitted now, the company wants to know guys are not leaving early or driving unnecessarily to maximise profit with their view being it is a company van so they are entitled to know where it is, we can run reports any time on any van and go as far back as the last 28 days, if the van has moved in the evening or at the weekend the driver can be disciplined as he shouldn't be using it as he isn't allowed, i can see why the guys complain as they don't want to be watched but if you are not doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about, and if you know a report can catch you out don't use it

Mates who work for transco use a sheet of lead to cover the actual tracker and it does work, But if they pull you for no signal take it off gradual till the day it goes in for checking

Id heard the lead theory but was told that the new trackers are not affected by the lead.

Personally im not too bothered about it being on the van but then if i start getting questioned regularly about why i was here and why i was there etc etc then my opinion might change somewhat!!

I not saying im whiter than white but i do tend to STICK TO THE RULES,but there have been occasions where ive had an early finish because id finished a job but i wouldnt go home until it was near to knocking off time merely because my gaffer lives quite close to me :mad:

The general concensus at work amongst the lads is that there are certain people that will be monitored more than others because of the known fact that certain ones get a nose bleed at the thought of having to work past mid-day.....these individuals,well what can i say,their skin wouldn't graft!!!

I can't see the problem.

The people who tend to complain about it, are the people who have made it necessary to have them fitted in the first place.

If a particular van is regularly 'out of signal' then they can expect even more regular 'spot checks' by a manager/supervisor.

If the driver needs to go somewhere or go early etc, it's easy just to phone in explain the situation, and then get the permission which then covers them.

If you are a lone worker, then there are benefits of the system.

If the company uses trackers to make the best use of its vehicles, then it may be the difference to being a competitive company or no company at all

Sponsored Links
Back