Trade with EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moreover, you've reallocated the UK's contribution to EU several times over, to cover EU import tariffs, to cover loss in UK's GDP, to cover loss of tax revenue, to reimburse households, etc. How many more times are you going to reallocate this money?
Obviously the savings could go toward various things, but whichever way you look at it, it's £33 milllion per day being put to good use in the U.K. instead of being thrown away into the EU's coffers.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anybody can seriously deny that leaving the EU would cause severe damage to our international trade, even in those sectors,
The anti-EU campaigners try to flannel over this problem and suggest that by some kind of magic, everything would be all right.
No problem, PBC will use the UK's EU contribution to cover any shortfall, although that money has already been used ten times over.
Obviously the savings could go toward various things, but whichever way you look at it, it's £33 milllion per day being put to good use in the U.K. instead of being thrown away into the EU's coffers.
You remind me of some Political Party manifestos spending money over and over again.

Is the U.K.'s net payment to the EU around £33 million per day or isn't it? Split that saving ten equal ways if you like, and that's still over £3 million per day toward each of those useful things which at the present is being consumed by the EU.

Is the U.K.'s net payment to the EU around £33 million per day or isn't it? Split that saving ten equal ways if you like, and that's still over £3 million per day toward each of those useful things which at the present is being consumed by the EU.
NO!
So overall we paid in £8.5 billion more than we got back, or £23 million a day.
The Treasury figures note payments the EU makes directly to the private sector, such as research grants. In 2013, these were worth an estimated £1.4 billion, so including them could reduce our net contribution further still.
https://fullfact.org/economy/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/
Just taking EU Import Tariffs alone, in the event of Brexit, which you've suggested we'd be happy to pay, and you've also suggested that the UK's £8.5b EU subsidy would cover:
Brexit will set UK back £11bn in EU trade costs, research finds.
Britain would be landed with £11bn in new tariffs if it left the EU and did not get a free trade agreement, according to the leader of the group campaigning to stay in.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/16/brexit-uk-11bn-extra-costs-eu-trade-research

Now tell me again, how many more times you're going to spend the UK's EU contribution.

Sponsored Links
Read the article and it tells you.

Do you calculate a different figure? What is it, and how did you calculate it?

JohnD I did read the article, It's full of conjecture. " The UK may get this," It might well get a better agreement than Lord Rose proposes. He goes on to "predict" that any break up with the EU will be "acrimonious" (without stating why) So it's only his conjecture.. Anyway, he's a Lord, so his pension is already taken care of, before mine or yours. ;);) Do you think for one minute that a split with the EU will affect his income?? I can't see him "downsizing into a two bedroom bungalow,,, Can you? (and he won't be driving round in a Kia Picanto anytime soon)

You posted a link and asked a question about the article you linked.
Read paragraph 5 of your article.

What do you calculate the figure to be?

JohnD , you're becoming tiresome and repetitive. I asked the original question... Can you tell me where he got his figures from? What research depends on conjecture? So please answer my question first,, Thanks (or is it too much to ask? )

Here is your question.
Can you tell me where this leader of a group that wants to stay in the EU got his figures from please?
The answer to your question is in paragraph 5 of the article that you are asking about.

What do you think the figure should be?

JohnD I did read the article, It's full of conjecture. " The UK may get this," It might well get a better agreement than Lord Rose proposes. He goes on to "predict" that any break up with the EU will be "acrimonious" (without stating why) So it's only his conjecture.. Anyway, he's a Lord, so his pension is already taken care of, before mine or yours. ;);) Do you think for one minute that a split with the EU will affect his income?? I can't see him "downsizing into a two bedroom bungalow,,, Can you? (and he won't be driving round in a Kia Picanto anytime soon)
It's quite simple, the conjecture is based on no trade agreement being agreed with EU following Brexit. Which PBC stated we could manage quite easily because the UK's EU contribution would reimburse the UK exporters to pay the EU import tariffs.
How ever it's obvious to even the untrained eye that the EU import tariffs would be at least £2.5B more than the UK's EU contribution.
Moreover, PBC keeps using this money to compensate us for all sorts of losses following a Brexit. The UK's contribution can only be use once and iot would not be sufficient. It can't be used again and again and again!

Your other comments about Lord's pension and what car he drives and what type of house he lives in are just superfluous claptrap. Totally irrelevant to the discussion. But relevancy isn't your strong point, is it?

Just taking EU Import Tariffs alone, in the event of Brexit, which you've suggested we'd be happy to pay,.
You seem to be forgetting that import tariffs would be paid by the importer.
You suggested that UK exporters would pay them to make our exports as competitive as EU's own products. You suggested that the UK's contribution would pay for this.
Change of tune? Welcome to the world of smoke and mirrors.

It's quite odd, but almost the entire argument for the BSE folk here seems to hang on the fear that the EU will raise import tariffs on UK goods and services, remove this unsubstantiated belief and their argument disappears in a puff of smoke. There is no reason why the EU would raise tariffs on the UK at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back