Tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just watched this excuse for a programme. I'd just like to say how annoyed l am at the quote 'Eastern Europeans are harder working and much cheaper than english tradesmen'. I work my ar*e of and am very competitive and good at what l do. We could do without the likes of you people knocking us down at every opportunity and giving us bad press in what is already a difficult market. We have to earn a living as well as you lot sitting in your cosy chair giving advice on things you know nothing about. The building trade puts alot of money into this country and gets treated like crap, enjoy your cheap labour while it lasts.

This post has now been split from the post "ITV needs your help"

Sponsored Links
Maybe not so much of the eastern europeans being cheap labour more like the british worker charges too much!!

tim west said:
Maybe not so much of the eastern europeans being cheap labour more like the british worker charges too much!!

You're as bad as those programme makers

Only the rip off merchants charge too much.You don't see many rich, honest, hardworking tradesmen

Cheap labour will only be cheap until their costs of living decide they need to up their rates.

It's funny isn't it how much people begrudge you if your a tradesman and you've done alright for yourself. Ever think it might just be because they're good at their job?? By the way, i'm not in that category but l know people who are and if a client ever see's they're house they never give them work again. The British mentality is f*cked up, they are only happy if you turn up in a clapped out estate car and live in a bedsit.

Sponsored Links
well said M8..should be a % of the house value...why should someone who knows how to put a house togethr be expected to live in a caravan. :?: ........but some roofers do :oops: :LOL: :LOL:

stop talking out your arse and tarring everyone with the same brush. there are some cowboys out there, the same as any industry. Most tradesman work with a strong sense of pride in their work. thats why they are tradesman. they know their craft and they apply it. Funny how people dont want to do a job themselves, know how its done, have the skill level to do it, know the regs, have the tools, want to get cold, wet and dirty, or have the first clue, but when they get someone else in to do it they moan about the cost.

Thermo said:
Most tradesman work with a strong sense of pride in their work. thats why they are tradesman. they know their craft and they apply it.
Hear hear Thermo. Allow me to add the following quote:

"By being passionate about the work you do, you will deliver more in quality service than you expect to receive in payment as compensation. This, in effect, is a way to keep money or value chasing you, rather than you chasing it. By always doing more than expected, you'll always be underpaid - which is how it should be.

For if you're paid more than you're worth, you eventually will be restructured, reengineered, replaced, fired, outplaced, declared obsolete and disposed of. Overpaid individuals are overdrawn on their knowledge and skills bank account. Individuals who are underpaid for the level and quality of service they provide are always in demand and always ahead of the pay scale in terms of knowledge and contribution. So money and opportunity are always chasing them.

Let money chase you, but never let it catch you, or you'll become a slave to money, instead of money working for you."
(Dr Denis Waitley)

you can moan about how much stuff costs, but the simple rules of economics and supply and demand will always hold true. Too expensive and people will go elsewhere. Same with materials, you get what you pay for. Scrimp on materials for the sake of a few pounds on a job and see what you have in a few years time. pay your money and take your choice.

I think the idea of "the polish plumber electrician etc is better that a british one" is about to rebound, I have definatley noticed an upturn in clients calling in to ask us to recitify so truly horrendous work carried out by the lads

But Hey they were cheap

an I am Damned expensive :)

there are some good ones and some bad ones, but do they know the decent products, suppliers, regulations etc? Theres certainly things to be learnt from them and vice versa, but its down to employers who are prepared to pay cheap wages, rather than invest it in training. i have a 17 year old lad working with me that is as good as gold, and wants to learn. Can i get any sort of college course for him inlandscaping? No any i have tried to enroll him on have been cancelled due to under funding from lack of students. many of his mates are training as brickies, plumbers etc. they cant even get work placements as many of the firms are using cheap foreign labour instead of training up young lads who are keen to learn the trade.

Its just employers being greedy and customers wanting something for nothing. like the cash in hand merchants.
can you do the job for cash to make it cheaper? Oh you mean i take all the risk of being caught out by the vat and tax man while you get the same job for les money? Do you want the benefit of my public liability insurance whilst im working here? Do you want me to gaurentee the work while im here? You do....well thats the price, it goes through the books. if you dont like the price go elsewhere. fed up with them, theres enough decent customers out there that deserve decent tradesmen.

Rant over.....for now! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back