TRAFFIC LIGHTS

Sponsored Links
How would I transform down to 12 volts?

with a transformer.

but that is a problem since they are ES fittings you will probably have trouble getting 12v ES lamps that are bright enough.

hence my suggestion, bolt them to the wall and use mains lamps, but you are still going to need a controller

Sponsored Links
I shall be in the pub at the end of my road when you get here.

Buy me a pint and it's all yours :LOL:

Have you a link for a controller pls :?:

...............But first of all you need to get clicky and make it up, it does need soldering, but it does come with instructions.

same one as before. since its cheap, reliable (moost of the time) and easy to build

but since RF has offered.......................

you could use a PLC controller but they are not cheap

:idea: Rf are you really making it? if so, how about put some triacs on it, switched by the led out put, that way it can then switch the mains lights

:idea: Rf are you really making it? if so, how about put some triacs on it, switched by the led out put, that way it can then switch the mains lights

Don't see why not.

Can anyone tell me how to do this, and which triacs I might need?

I'm no electronics master. I can just follow simple diagrams and build velleman kits :D

How would I transform down to 12 volts?
I'd suggest using Solid State Relays AC mains rated output DC Controlled input 3V run from a battery source say 3V

Mains wiring will depend on the lamps used, suggest 15W ES pygmy unless the SSR's need minimum wattage to run properly or the rating advised on the lampholders higher wattage may make the traffic light hot to touch though?

You can also use mains rated SSR's to switch AC as low as 12V or even lower on the AC side so you could convert the lampholders to accomodate a lover voltage lamp.

With space the SSR's and battery could be mounted inside the traffic lights? and a multicore(4 core) out to the switches carrying the 3v making sure you segregate the mains wiring from the control wiring.

You'll also need robust switches or pushbuttons(possibly latching?) as they are likely to get some abuse.

View media item 5046
If you dont want to go down the Mains voltage route then id suggest removing the lampholders and replacing with Leds and associated circuitry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back