Trafficking women and the sex trade

How many people know the diference between an asylum seeker and an illegal immigrant? Yet most tar them with the same brush.

The subject is not that straightforward, but some people are either ignorantly or deliberately oversimplifying the problem, which doesn't address the issue and results in a worse situation.

Ignorant people will try to label others as limpy liberals if they state that this is not just a black and white issue, but for the most part they are either unwilling or unable to debate in a reasoned manner on the subject.

So, Zampa, I appreciate you have concerns, and maybe rightly so, but do you appreciate the need for immigration to this country at all?

The oversimplified assertions of this country being full-up or asking how much is enough does not help.

Thats a fair and well reasoned arguement..

Of course not every one of the asylum seekers are crooks on the run..I hope I didnt come across as impliing that, but even the government are finally waking up to the fact the it getting out of control now...they could lose the next election on the strength of their open house policy...

But I ask the question...why if they are so desperate just to make a beter life for themselves travel so far...they could stop at greece...Italy..Spain Austria..France, Germany etc...but no...they come to the UK..

Is it because the word is that we are a soft touch?

Thats what peeves me...the fact that they are abusing our attitude to genuine asylum seekers.

Sponsored Links
zampa

I agree with you regarding asylum seekers etc.. why travel across europe, :confused: unless like you said , we are a soft touch.

Zampa said:
Thats a fair and well reasoned arguement..

Of course not every one of the asylum seekers are crooks on the run..I hope I didnt come across as impliing that, but even the government are finally waking up to the fact the it getting out of control now...they could lose the next election on the strength of their open house policy...

But I ask the question...why if they are so desperate just to make a beter life for themselves travel so far...they could stop at greece...Italy..Spain Austria..France, Germany etc...but no...they come to the UK..

Is it because the word is that we are a soft touch?

Thats what peeves me...the fact that they are abusing our attitude to genuine asylum seekers.

I appreciate a genuine concern, and I agree that all of the developed countries, especially our partners in the EU, should share what some see as the burden of asylum seekers, but this country takes in less asylum seekers than many others, see:

http://www.oxfamgb.org/ukpp/safe/myths1.htm

Maybe some might see this country as a soft touch, others might respect this country above all others and wish to be a part of that and contribute a great deal.

Unfortunately, much of the media wish to paint a picture in a certain way, which mainly goes towards forming the basis of the majority's distorted views regarding asylum.

The major problems are those of illegal immigrants, not asylum seekers, especially the criminal elements. If only this government and others before and in the future would have or could get to grips with this we would have far less problems. The present government are not addressing the important issues, but persist in diverting valuable resources to reducing asylum seeker levels at the expense of the illegal immigrants issue.

The benefits system also needs a major overhaul in this country to reduce bogus claims of asylums, immigrants and the indigenous population.

Unfortunatley, all these issues are on such a large scale, it would take people of vision and the wholesale support of many to formulate and implement policies that would work. All too often bureaucracy is a stumbling block to resolving them.

Global events also affect us as a country with regards to asylum, such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia and Zimbabwe...if we help to resolve these problem areas we would not have so many applicants. The lack of political will or incompetence on the part of some Western powers has contributed greatly to our present predicament.

Most immigrants, if they can't find work or claim benefits will probably go back to their own countries themselves anyway. If the proper workable systems were in place the problems would be reduced.

Sadly, some wish to seize upon the issue of asylum/immigration because of their xenophobic views and not address the issue fairly.

So, I hope a balanced approach is taken, yet many want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Zampa, I was hoping you'd answer a simple question....do you appreciate the need for immigration to this country at all?

Simply answer (to a very complicated subject) yes...but within reason..at the moment its far to easy to turn up here and say 'im in trouble back home..I cant go back...can i live here please'

And if or when the right to asylum is rejected they dissapear...hence estimations of at least 500,000 who have gone underground...no one can tell me that ALL of these people...plus the ones who allowed to stay are being sought in their own countries..

Interesting link BTW albeit a bit out of date..2002 figures are quoted quite a lot.

Sponsored Links
You make a fair point, Zampa.

Its still applicable today that other countries take in more asylum seekers than here.

Yes, there are major problems with the asylum process. Politicians at present do not seem to be able to address them.

Bogus asylum seekers and illegal immigrants need to be dealt with as quickly and effectively as possible, but at the same time we should welcome legal immigration, just as we might want to live or work abroad.

I would welcome it provided that that person has something to offer that we want....if you had a business and needed a machine operator and an immigrant offer this then fine..but if you didnt need anymore staff but were obliged to pay say..5 other people on a retainer anyway then a business wouldnt survive...it cant be said that we need the illigal immigrants for a start...otherwise they would be legally working in jobs where there is a real need for labour....but they arnt...the have gone to ground, they may be working but this time in crime or for people traders.

Maybe we should take a leaf out of Americas book and only now offer a place of residence of they have a job to come to..if they have a sponsor.

A greed...oops, I meant, agreed. Apart from some compassion, its the way the world works.

noodlz said:
A greed...oops, I meant, agreed. Apart from some compassion, its the way the world works.

I got your drift lol

Sponsored Links
Back