Tragic M5 RTA

Last trucks I drove had a cruise control so set it at 56mph and that's exactly what it did. This is why lorries can stay relatively close to each other in the inside lane.
To answer Loo's question about how people can video it,. It was obviously filmed from the opposite carriageway. Would you have pulled over onto the hard shoulder and ran across 3 lanes of motorway? I know I wouldn't.
What about TV crews who video dreadful things every week? Are they any different ? Ok I'll admit they usually film things after the event, but it's not unknown for them to be on the spot when something major happens. Should they stop filming to help in some emergency?

So why overtake and hog two thirds of motorway lanes for miles to overtake when your vehicles are limited to that speed? No wonder it takes thems miles of road to do an overtaking manoeuvre. But my suggestion to make areas within 1 mile of slip roads no overtaking zones for HGVs etc of each other would assist in improving road safety. They should only be allowed to use the middle lane in these areas for allowing other vehicles to enter the motorway.

The original footage has now been removed from the BBC website, but although I would agree it was taken from the opposite carriageway, it was not taken from a moving vehicle.

Re the media, John, I agree with your points, but yes, I believe saving and assisting people should be a first priority over obtaining footage - to me its more about ethics. But that said, professional footage of the immediate aftermass can benefit any later enquiry in to the events - the police themselves now take footage as well.

A few years ago I would have said our HGV drivers must have been the safest and most courteous in the world - unfortunately not any more from what I witness when driving

Sponsored Links
A few years ago I would have said our HGV drivers must have been the safest and most courteous in the world - unfortunately not any more from what I witness when driving

What proportion of those that you witness are indeed British driver's.

But my suggestion to make areas within 1 mile of slip roads no overtaking zones for HGVs etc of each other would assist in improving road safety.

Prime example of some with no patients who thinks everyone should move out the way for them.

They should only be allowed to use the middle lane in these areas for allowing other vehicles to enter the motorway.

Then you'll still be whinging that your stuck behind aline of lgv's sitting in the middle lane. :rolleyes:

Make up your mind what you do want ?

Maybe better if all deliveries by lgv's stop to that part of wales over xmas
then see what you have to moan about then.
:LOL:

But my suggestion to make areas within 1 mile of slip roads no overtaking zones for HGVs etc of each other would assist in improving road safety. They should only be allowed to use the middle lane in these areas for allowing other vehicles to enter the motorway.

Can't have it both ways Loo. If it's a no overtaking zone for HGV's then they can't use the middle lane. At slip roads they usually have to use the middle lane to allow drivers to enter or leave the motorway. So no change there.
PS in the footage shown earlier on the BBC website the car it was taken from was definitely moving.

Sponsored Links
You cannot have HGVs being unable to move into the middle lane if other traffic is merging. The point you may have missed is that HGVs overtaking where slip roads merge has a significant consequence for vehicles that are endeavouring to get on to the carriageway

That is different to HGVs that are already on the carriageway being prevented to overtake in the 'safe' zone. It gives the HGV the option to move to the middle lane rather than being prevented from doing so by an overtaking HGV that cannot legally move into the outside lane.

Re the earlier footage I thought it was a stationery vehicle, but I accept I could be wrong on that.

MAY I SAY THOUGH, THAT I DO HOPE THAT PEOPLE WHO READ THIS THREAD DO NOT HAVE ANY FRIENDs, OR FAMILY MEMBERS THAT MAY HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT ON THE M5, OF WHICH THE CAUSE IS CURRENTLY UNKNOWN.

You cannot have HGVs being unable to move into the middle lane if other traffic is merging.
Why's that ?
You do in ie germany where you have a lorry ban on the middle lane in peak times.

Then why should they move to the middle just cause drivers can't adjust their speed to merge in.
You learn to ignore them in the end cause when you do let them on to the motorway they sit there like pillocks holding you out in the middle lane.

In the end you end up indicating to move back across the white line to wake them up and either put their foot down or let you in.
Then all you get is abuse.

Germany, unlike the UK, has a far better distribution system for goods and products, so are in a much better position than us to have rigid restrictions imposed on carriers to encourage them to use alternative methods of distribution.

Investment by the Government in a better infrastructure would assist the UK.

Germany, unlike the UK, has a far better distribution system for goods and products, so are in a much better position than us to have rigid restrictions imposed on carriers to encourage them to use alternative methods of distribution.

Whats that got to do with restricting the lgv's to the nearside lane at peak times ?

Please insert a picture of me with my head in my hands shaking my head!!!!!!!!!

or banging it against a brick wall :( !!!!!!!!!!!!

Postings are personal points of view. I do not intend or need to revert to insults.

Thank you.

trucks are calibrated every 6 or 12 months

2 yrs for inspections 6 yrs for full recalibration
Digital are recalibrated every 2 yrs.

Sounds like you've been doing your CPC, as i'm going to be 61 in 2014 i've got no intention of doing the yearly coarses, i think i'll quit by then.

I got out of haulage ages ago but my brother still owns a fleet of lorries so i still manage to keep in with it.
But the funs gone out it nowdays. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back