Tragic M5 RTA

So when I drove to work this morning in reasonably heavy traffic - and I allowed about a 2 second gap between me and the car in front, why then did the LGV behind me leave approximately a 0.1 second gap :rolleyes:
Pass I wasn't there.

Meanwhile, a hundred yards ahead an HGV decided to pull out into the middle lane in front of a car clearly going faster (but there was no room in the outside lane for his to move into), thus causing the car driver to brake and the unsual concertina effect in following vehicles.
Pass I wasn't there.
Did he indicate ?

I'm not surprised that "professional" drivers think they're so great - after all they have their blinkered and self-righteous heads so far up their jacksies that :rolleyes:

In the end they don't bother cause half of you are so ignorant.

it's amazing that they see anything at all

Bit like half the dimwits in cars/bikes
That cut across 2 lanes of motorway for the junction at the last minute
Try to go round roundabouts on the inside and end up being cut up by the trailer.
People that cut across lanes coming on/off roundabouts not realising the lgv will follow the centre white lane.

Would you like me to carry on ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Would you like me to carry on ? :rolleyes:
As you see fit :rolleyes: The point is that there are some terrible LGV drivers just like there are terrible car and bike riders who treat the road as though they have sole right to use it as they see fit regardless of the needs of others. So in the interest of balance, at least be balanced in your appraisal :rolleyes:

And no, he didn't indicate until he was half way out across the lane. And the driver behind had no rational need to be reading the paper on my parcel shelf - we were all doing the same speed with no real room for manouvre. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
And they are talking about raising the speed limit?
From the look of it 2-3 jack knifed lorries, were they doing 80-90-100.

They probably accounted for most of the carnage, but lets get all the facts and then judge ehh.

The trouble with artics is that they use lane 1& 2 and 'jockey' for lead position, but take several miles to actually complete an overtaking manoeuvre as there may only be as little as 1mph difference in the speed of the overtaking vehicle. When they they come to a motorway slip road, the vehicles joining the motorway are blocked by this inconsiderate action of the artic drivers. I would suggest that artics are not permitted to use the middle lane within 1 mile of the exit and entrance slip roads to motorways and dual carriageways.

I know and I am, and shouldn't, jumping to conclusions, but I note this accident has happened close to an adjoining slip road.

So it was loopyevil that had us hung, drawn and quartered.

I'm more worried about reports that prosecutions against drivers are not being considered due to lack of evidence.

It would appear the tragedy was at least in part due to bad driving.

Quote from DT:

"Having considered the evidence in line with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, the CPS decided there was sufficient evidence to charge Geoffrey Counsell, the provider of the fireworks display at Taunton Rugby Club on the night of the collision, with manslaughter.

"The charges are due to his failings in the planning and operation of the display.

"It was clear from the investigation carried out by Avon and Somerset Police that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute for driver error and therefore no action will be taken against any motorists.

Googe maps shows that Taunton Rugby club is a couple of hundred metres away from the motorway. As a professional firework display, er, displayer(??), one assumes that he knows risk assessment procedures and followed them as a matter of course.

It may well be these guidelines that is at fault, since if he has followed them and they fail to mention potential smokescreen hazards (or fallout shrapnel from expended rockets etc) then the case against him should be dropped.

Another question I have and perhaps some of you know, is whether a permit has to be issued by local council or hse to hold public displays of such missiles and incendiary devices?

It is a sad fact, but improvements in safety often come about because of tragadies involving the loss of life, and learning from these incidents.

Sponsored Links
Back