Tragic M5 RTA

What you call dollies, we call hitches.....

But their is about 30 different types of hitch knot. hitch knot is only a type of knot.

But i know what your talking about the Truckers Hitch ie Dolly.

There is a few ways to do the Truckers Hitch based on the Sheepshank loop .
But they are all close related knots. using a loop.

Sponsored Links
Trying to remember :oops:
Dolly has one loop, two twists and thru.........

Sponsored Links
That's it! A waggoners hitch..... Now I remember why I drove car transporters, powder tanks and tilts......But powder tanks and I didn't really get on..... :oops:

A little in this report about the happenings... This guy pulled several people clear.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Hero-M5-Hell-Earth/story-13787833-detail/story.html

"...After getting onto the motorway's northbound carriageway at Junction 25, Mr Neno barely had time to get up through the gears when he was confronted by "thick, impenetrable fog" and the brake lights of an Iceland lorry in front of him.

He stopped the car in the middle lane just short of the lorry, which had hit vehicles in front of it.

Mr Neno said: "Immediately we could hear accidents happening behind us and around us.

"Ciara got the phone out to dial 999 and we could hear more accidents, going thump, thump, thump, and didn't know whether to stay or get out."

As they sat in their car fearing it would be struck by another vehicle, a car went hurtling along the fast lane and hit crashed vehicles ahead.

A TNT lorry then jack-knifed, sweeping several cars along with it, and nudged the Nenos' car forward a few feet.

With the lorry now forming a protective barrier, Mr Neno climbed out of his car and ran over to help the occupants of the crashed car. He said: "The car was missing its front and it was smoking. The engine was gone and you could just see its bulkhead.

"These Asian guys were sitting in their car and couldn't open the door. I ran over to one of the lorry drivers and asked for a hammer. He pulled out a wheel brace and I used it to smash the driver's side window.

"I was worried the car would catch fire and managed to pull them both out of the same window. One of them had abdominal injuries."

Once the men were freed, Mr Neno turned his attention to a woman in her early 20s who was trapped and screaming for help in a Vauxhall Corsa – one of several mangled cars wedged underneath the crashed TNT lorry.

Bristol Rovers fan Mr Neno, father of 18-year-old student Oliver, said: "I could hear her screaming frantically saying 'Get me out, get me out'. I told her to turn her face away as I used the wheel brace again to smash the window. It broke on the fourth attempt and she reached her arms around me and I pulled her out."

He then tried to help a woman who was pinned face down on the road under the wheels of the Corsa, but was unable to rescue her before firefighters and doctors arrived on the scene.

Mr Neno, who rescued the three people in the space of about eight minutes, says he doesn't consider himself a hero..."

I bet there are more than three people thinking he actually is a hero.

-0-

others dont even know pedestrians have priority at zebra crossings,

A pedestrian only has right of way once they have "claimed" the crossing. By just saying they have right of way just perpetuates this myth that they can just wander out onto the crossing and expect cars to stop on a sixpence as they have right of way.

Far fewer know that a pedestrian has right of way if they have started to cross safely on any section of road that they are allowed to cross, but have now slowed oncoming traffic. Old grannies etc crossing the road are susceptible to this.

The way i understand it (without looking at a highway code) when i approach a zebra crossing my foot is off the throttle already as i expect a child or granny or even a dog to step out, so yes if need be i can stop, maybe not on a sixpence but not far off.
Its all about knowing what is happening around you, not just watching the car in front.
but what i was getting at are the foreign drivers that dont know how a zebra crossing should funtion.

You seem prone to outbursts of nonsense.

Why automatically have your foot off the throttle when you have the ability to see all situations in front of you? Are you one of these people that will always stop at a Give Way or a roundabout without even looking to see if it's clear?
Plenty of British drivers have no idea how anything on the road functions no matter a Zebra Crossing. If a dog, granny or child steps out onto a Zebra crossing and expects a car to stop for them they may be sadly wishing they hadn't done so. The Highway Code is not only for car users, it is also for other road users to learn.

So sorry but i have a problem with seeing "all situations" even as most truck drivers will tell you bearing in mind we probably do in excess of 50,000miles per anus sorry annum, there is always a driver out there who will do something different, but if you've seen it all, know it all fine by me :LOL: :LOL:

No you got the wrong guy, i dont stop if i dont have to

Why automatically have your foot off the throttle when you have the ability to see all situations in front of you?

A car driver has a few ton to think about. Not that he/she ever thinks about it.
A hgv driver has 35 or 40 ton to think about. Maybe static or a load of swinging beef.
Having your foot off the throttle doesn't mean the vehicle brakes.
Though it could have an exhaust brake.
You could have your foot on the brake ready to drop it. Maybe a few extra milliseconds but with 35 ton behind, it could mean the difference between life or death.

Unfortuantly, the average car driver is not Seco, or whoever else holds (and has driven) class 1's, are they? Perhaps the average car driver should educate themsleves a little more before passing comment. Working with Gas is bad enough when you little scamps watch 'Tricks of the Tradesmen', and now its our Lorry Drivers.

It must be great to sit behind a desk and do something so non-descript, all you can do in your spare time time is find a forum to slate someone / something.

Now, I do - Im off. Toodlepip. x

Why automatically have your foot off the throttle when you have the ability to see all situations in front of you?

A car driver has a few ton to think about. Not that he/she ever thinks about it.
A hgv driver has 35 or 40 ton to think about. Maybe static or a load of swinging beef.
Having your foot off the throttle doesn't mean the vehicle brakes.
Though it could have an exhaust brake.
You could have your foot on the brake ready to drop it. Maybe a few extra milliseconds but with 35 ton behind, it could mean the difference between life or death.

I think some people are mistaking this quote as me saying you can see everything and therefore have no reason to consider your road speed.

That's not what I meant. I was in fact having a dig at Pred suggesting he possibly considers himself able to see more than the average driver but still automatically lifts off at every Zebra Crossing, clear or not. It's clear to me very few drivers can be fluid enough to drive without doing things in fits and starts.

Lets face it car driver or lorry driver most are pretty negligent behind the wheel. This why I dislike the term Motorist for car drivers. The "ist" on the end suggests they are some sort of enthusiast.

Maybe if the 44 ton drove a bit more safely they wouldn't be involved with, nor cause the accident.

Then don't play chicken with them cause they'll win. :D
So when I drove to work this morning in reasonably heavy traffic - and I allowed about a 2 second gap between me and the car in front, why then did the LGV behind me leave approximately a 0.1 second gap :rolleyes: Meanwhile, a hundred yards ahead an HGV decided to pull out into the middle lane in front of a car clearly going faster (but there was no room in the outside lane for his to move into), thus causing the car driver to brake and the unsual concertina effect in following vehicles.

I'm not surprised that "professional" drivers think they're so great - after all they have their blinkered and self-righteous heads so far up their jacksies that it's amazing that they see anything at all :rolleyes:

I can see where pred is coming from he's just acting on the side of Cautiousness.
It's a bit different from a emergency stop in a car and your mobile phone flying off the seat to an emergency stop in an artic and 30 ton of steel plate sliding down your trailer at 20 mph.

Sponsored Links
Back