Train horns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live between two small local stations, on a main line. I used to hear during the day, the train driver blowing their horns, on the approach to the stations, and at several countryside foot crossing points along the route, where there would be 'WHISTLE' signs alongside the track. I would sometimes be able to track the train's progress, as it disappeared into the distance, for several miles. During the night, they didn't sound the horns.

But, not anymore. Have they changed the rules, so they don't need to whistle anymore?

Sponsored Links
Maybe poor training of drivers :mrgreen:

Two footpaths near here have been re-routed onto bridges and the foot crossings closed.

MY FIL worked on BR, one of his jobs was to hide near crossings to check drivers were hooting

Sponsored Links
I beleive there were changes made in 2016, but that was to shorten the length of the night 'quiet time'.

Network Rail are constantly working to reduce the number of crossings that require whistle boards - through the use of miniature light signals, or closing crossings and rerouting rights of way etc.
It's possible your local whistle boards have gone!

Attached - outline of 2016 changes and 'When to use your warning horn'

Attachments

• Poster-OTM6-Iss-1.pdf
    657.8 KB · Views: 62
  • FAQs-for-Night-Time-Quiet-Period-NTQP.pdf
    257 KB · Views: 64
Maybe poor training of drivers :mrgreen:

Two footpaths near here have been re-routed onto bridges and the foot crossings closed.

Possibly, I rarely use the train, so I have not been able to see any reroutes, but they always used to horn on the approach to the two stations, which has also ended.

but they always used to horn on the approach to the two stations, which has also ended.
Not required by the rule book, unless to warn of danger - i.e. a fast moving through train and unaware passengers standing close to platform edge.

And some more examples, that aren't in the rule book :)

Possibly, I rarely use the train, so I have not been able to see any reroutes, but they always used to horn on the approach to the two stations, which has also ended.
Don't know about your local area.

At ours the train horns are sounded for through trains at the station, as a warning to stay clear etc.

It's the only place in the area I ever hear the horns used

Sponsored Links
Back