Transformer light wiring

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks John, i have to go with winston, i always test the outputs with a lamp on a spare lamp on a lampholder lead.

Ok thanks John, i have to go with winston, i always test the outputs with a lamp on a spare lamp on a lampholder lead.
Fair enough, that's a perfectly reasonable way to do it.

However, I still think that even a cheap and nasty multimeter would show something if the PSU was working, even if the output was 'tens of kHz'. Given that I would probably have to go up with a multimeter to check the 230V input to the PSU, that would seem slightly 'simpler'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Checking there is 230VOLTS on the Primary must be the first step, before we get oscilloscopes out of the loft.

Checking there is 230VOLTS on the Primary must be the first step, before we get oscilloscopes out of the loft.
Indeed. As I've just said, if one has to go up a ladder with a meter to check that, if one finds that 230V is present one might as well then try to use the same meter to see if anything is coming out of the secondary - and, as I've said, I would be very surprised if any multimeter failed to show any secondary voltage (if secondary voltage was there), even if it were 'high frequency' AC.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, I must have missed it.
But I don’t know if the OP has checked this, or even has the ability to do so.
Well, we all know what they say about assumptions, but...

I’ve .. re-wired a standard pendent fitting in its place as a temporary stop gap until I manage to fix or replace the chandelier.

In this case I really do think it is safe to assume that there is 230V present at the ceiling light position, and that Robert did not omit "but that doesn't work either".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back