Light transformers keep blowing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have 4 spotlights in my bathroom and 2 keep blowing. I've had an electrician round and he said that each individual light has a seperate transformer and it was the transformers which had gone. He replaced the transformers and both of the lights worked. A week later one of these lights went again so he came back round and replaced the transformer and said it was more likely a faulty transformer he had originally fitted. Last night I put the lights on and again the same 2 lights dont work!

I'm going to call him again but wanted to know if I should know something? Is it simply the transformers or a deeper problem?

Many thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
I've checked the connections and all seem ok to me?

I might change the transformers myself, can you recommend which ones to buy?

Sponsored Links
The loft is insulated but not where the transformers are, i've taken out the insulation.

Assuming the transformers are not working beyond their maximum load (Worth double checking this and double checking the wattage of each of the lamps). This may seem a bit obvious but I've seen it before quite a few times.

Is the supply to the transformers split via a junction box? If so, there could be poor connections in there. Check the connections on the supply side of the transformer as well.

It could also be that they are poor quality transformers and that you've been really unlucky.

I've contacted the sparky and he is going to come over (again) i'll ask him these questions and come back if there are any problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I've contacted the sparky and he is going to come over (again) i'll ask him these questions and come back if there are any problems.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear what the problem was/is.

Matt

Assuming that he only charged for the first visit and Tx replacements, I would have thought it was in his interests to get to the bottom of it, or he is going to be seriously out of pocket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back