Treating Siberian Larch Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may have asked this before but her goes.

I am just about to install some Siberian Larch Cladding on a workshop in my garden.
To prevent the wood from silvering over time I would like to treat it if at all possible with a clear UV protection.

What products could / should I use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok I have fitted one side but still need to find something to treat this with to give it some UK protection?
lHfUm9Z.jpg

Just stumbled across this now, I’m currently on with my own Siberian larch cladding, wondering if you have any recommendations for treating now your project is completed?
REGARDS

Sponsored Links
I never did get a reply, about a year ago I jet washed it and used some danish oil. The only areas that are bad are the side next to a bush and where it gets rain splattered from an adjacent woodshed.

I use boiled Linseed oil on my shiplap cladding. Seems fine.

Osma oil is probably the best out there. Use the "extra" version for the longest UV protection between coats - 3-5 years

upload_2020-8-24_23-3-28.jpeg
Cheers for the replies, Coincidentally I had already purchased the Osmo extra after being recommended elsewhere.

Woody at one point did you apply yours? Pre- installation or post, if it was after installation, what kind of timescale between installation and coating?
cheers again

Attachments

• 46BEDA31-76D8-4A4A-A08C-B9C5590CDF87.jpeg
    46BEDA31-76D8-4A4A-A08C-B9C5590CDF87.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 272
I never did get a reply, about a year ago I jet washed it and used some danish oil. The only areas that are bad are the side next to a bush and where it gets rain splattered from an adjacent woodshed.

Skavenger

Any chance you can post of picture of how it's weathered please.
I will be doing some cladding soon, and was curious how it looked a year or so later.

Cheers

Skavenger

Any chance you can post of picture of how it's weathered please.
I will be doing some cladding soon, and was curious how it looked a year or so later.

Cheers

Any clear coating, osma, danish oil etc will not provide much protection.

Coatings without any pigment will get broken down by UV quickly. So any sides that get much sunshine will get the coating burnt off in prob 6 months. If left the sunlight will kill off the lignin and the wood will start to go grey.

Siberian Larch is naturally very durable, it has high tannin and resin levels and it has the density of oak. It will last many years without any surface treatment, however it will go patchy visually, areas in the shade will retain their original colour but exposed areas will go grey and get water stained.

If you want to keep the original colour as long as possible I would simply treat with a clear wood preservative that has water repellant in it. Barratine coatings are good and I think do a clear, they are available in toolstation.

I made a large garden cabin and clad it with Siberian larch feather edge, but I used barratine golden, which on the rough sawn surface turned it a rich colour.

It's a fantastic timber - I used to import Siberian larch from Germany to make orangeries and joinery.

View attachment 202902
Cheers for the replies, Coincidentally I had already purchased the Osmo extra after being recommended elsewhere.

Woody at one point did you apply yours? Pre- installation or post, if it was after installation, what kind of timescale between installation and coating?
cheers again
I treated mine the recommended coats front and back before installation. Much easier, plus I could make sure the end grains were property sealed.

Once dry ( a couple of days) I fitted them.

front and back before installation

almost certainly massively increased lifespan and reduced movement.

It makes me cringe when I see site chippies putting up softwood fascias, bargeboards etc totally unfinished, then left in the rain for a few weeks until the painters turn up.

Ok.... So say for instance, the cladding was installed before being coated, and left untreated for say 6 weeks, what would then be the best plan of attack, to treat and try a retain the look before slivering occurs, asking for a friend!

Get a coating of your choice of protection on now.

Autumn is the best time for coating and before the damp weather comes. But you'll need a period of dry days and dry timber.

Then check it next spring to see if it has any exposed edges after a little shrinkage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back