trying to install ceiling lights

beege, EFLImpudence, the picture of the exposed wires is for the hallway. I will try what you guys have suggested above but I don't have an exposed earth wire to connect to the ceiling light. I assume cutting an earth wire that you can see in the image is probably the dumbest thing I will do?? Hopefully once connected that will solve the problem of the bathroom and bedroom light not working.

As for beege last post, I connected all the earths to the earth light fitting, all the neutral were connected to the neutral light fitting and all the live were connected to the live light fitting. Another exposed wire connected into nothing with the previous installation and I have connected that into an empty slot shown in fig 1 (this is a random google image). The ceiling light was attached to the ceiling and when I turned the power on the lights work perfectly fine... however the light switch doesn't work either side of the room. I have to turn off the lights from the main board to turn the ceiling light off, this definitely is not what I wanted.

Fig 1.

bedroom_light_4.jpg

Sponsored Links
beege, EFLImpudence, the picture of the exposed wires is for the hallway. I will try what you guys have suggested above but I don't have an exposed earth wire to connect to the ceiling light. I assume cutting an earth wire that you can see in the image is probably the dumbest thing I will do?? Hopefully once connected that will solve the problem of the bathroom and bedroom light not working.

As for beege last post, I connected all the earths to the earth light fitting, all the neutral were connected to the neutral light fitting and all the live were connected to the live light fitting. Another exposed wire connected into nothing with the previous installation and I have connected that into an empty slot shown in fig 1 (this is a random google image). The ceiling light was attached to the ceiling and when I turned the power on the lights work perfectly fine... however the light switch doesn't work either side of the room. I have to turn off the lights from the main board to turn the ceiling light off, this definitely is not what I wanted.

Fig 1.

bedroom_light_4.jpg
Have you managed to identify which cable is the switched live? Photo of the wires in the ceiling would be helpful.
Not trying to be patronising but did you understand the diagrams and my explanation of lighting circuits? No worries if you don’t, just don’t want you to be trying things if you don’t fully understand the theory behind it.

Speediii, with regards to the earthing issue, there are 2 safe options. The first one being to fit a light that does not require an earth connection. The second option is to get an electrician.

As for the other light, if I were you I would get an electrician. If you are able to identify which is the switched live then it is a simple fix, however I am slightly concerned about the exposed wire that was not connected to anything.

I appreciate that you were hoping to do this yourself without paying for a spark and I can understand why, however I think in this instance it is a small price to pay for peace of mind that it is connected safely. Please do not do anything where electricity is concerned if there is any guess work involved. You could end up causing damage to your home or worse yourself or your family.

Beege

Speediii, let us know how you get on , have you managed to sort it or get an electrician? :)

Sponsored Links
beege, I have gone with a sparky who will be around tomorrow morning to install both lights. I brought a new property and did all the cosmetic stuff myself, I was hoping to do the light myself too but i think a lot more research is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back