Turbulence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Christ, that must have been some turbulence and pretty scary too.

I’ve never experienced severe turbulence on a plane but my sister told me once that on a flight to America the plane was dropping like a stone and rising just as quick. Her seat belt held her in place but some people had head/neck injuries when they hit the overhead lockers and the flight attendants were having to hold the serving trolleys down!

Sponsored Links
I hate flying. I once had to be taken off of a flight (not during mid flight!) as i had a bad panic attack....

Last time i went up in an aeroplane i had tablets off of my doc....

I hate flying. I once had to be taken off of a flight (not during mid flight!) as i had a bad panic attack....

Perfectly rational to have some fear.

I see an airline pilot now and again (family do's) and chats with him are reassuring. The engines are immense and have lots of power in reserve. As is the design of wings and ailerons. Move the thing forwards and it just wants to lift and keep on lifting.

We landed at Brum airport in the middle of Storm Dennis. Whilst it wasn't as turbulent in the up-down sense, it was certainly bumpy in the side-side sense. The pilot was a cool as a cucumber and said 'it may get a bit choppy but everything's under control'. No dramas, just another day at the office. Wind shear is a bugga, and that's what that massive big tail assembly is for and those last second de-crabs. (y)

Sponsored Links

I see an airline pilot now and again (family do's) and chats with him are reassuring. The engines are immense and have lots of power in reserve. As is the design of wings and ailerons. Move the thing forwards and it just wants to lift and keep on lifting.

We landed at Brum airport in the middle of Storm Dennis. Whilst it wasn't as turbulent in the up-down sense, it was certainly bumpy in the side-side sense. The pilot was a cool as a cucumber and said 'it may get a bit choppy but everything's under control'. No dramas, just another day at the office. Wind shear is a bugga, and that's what that massive big tail assembly is for and those last second de-crabs. (y)
Couple of brandies sorts out my nerves, if its early added to coffee, seat belt on all the way

Horrible. I feel for you.

Birmingham.

;)

The first time I flew long distance was in 1981. I flew in a Singapore Airlines 747 in 1981 to Singapore (Paya Lebar), then an MAS 737 to Kuching.

It was on the second flight that the pilot could not avoid a thunderstorm and had to fly through it. We had just had breakfast when the plane began lurching around. This carried on for about 20 minutes. Luckily we had our belts on. Then the plane plummeted hugely. It was weird because the plane stayed more or less horizontal, but lost a whole heap of altitude. Needless to say, quite a few of us deposited our breakfasts in the bags provided.
It was a bit awkward handing our bags to the steward on the way out of the plane!

It was bl0ody scary!

1 Thing to think about that might help. If it's the fear of crashing etc that scares you.

The people that sit up front and fly the thing, want to get to their destination safely too

In a Rotary Wing (E145 helicopter) over the Thames doing tight turns so well heeled over - Lost about 150ft, that was the closest I've been to brown trousers when flying. I wasn't the pilot or even aircrew - I was conducting radio coverage tests at the time so had a Laptop (connected to the aircraft radios) on my knees.

He'd had stents fitted so sadly the shock must have brought it on, not the injuries sustained. There may be a climate change link, isn't it the sea warming that warms the air that causes the turbulence, Did the plane drop 6000 feet due to turbulence or only a few hundred feet with the pilot doing the rest as an avoidance measure.

No surprise that the BBC have have linked it with climate change.
I think the point made was that turbulence is happening a lot more. Something is causing it.

Not just a 1 off incident caused by it.

But read it how it suits you

Sponsored Links
Back