Turning off a radiator (permanently)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently moved into this house where the previous owners moved the system from the airing cupboard into the loft. They installed a radiator in the airing cupboard instead connecting it both to gas heating (via combi boiler) and electric.

This radiator pumps heat like a furnace when the heating is on, and I would like to turn it off permanently, or at least turn it waaaaaay down if possible. It doesn’t have the dial that the rest of my radiators have though, so I’m not sure if it’s possible, or if I should.

so questions:
How do you turn off this thing?
And, is it safe to do so?

I am afraid the massive heat in the tiny cupboard will lead to problems down the line.

I’ve added pics of the radiator in the cupboard if that helps.

EA5ECD88-90BE-4C4B-B699-7D52B1E6D329.jpeg E0987CF1-E120-43C7-9B46-4465D36A2FAC.jpeg B6C43C6F-596B-47D3-99E2-6364C8318DE3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Turn one or both rad valves either off or only just open.
Changing left valve for a trv and leaving it on 1 or 2 would cure problem and still leave you with a usable airing cupboard.

you have an electric immersion backup heater fitted, make sure it is turned off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back