tv rewire and tripping basic Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ashamed to say basic question but i have no-one to ask.

I broke my plug on my tv (large 28inch). The plug was moulded so I cut the wire and rewired to a new plug. This worked fine in my old house.

In the brand new house the tv is now tripping out the sockets believing me to think my rewired plug was a bit dodgy.

my question is

what fuse / plug should you use on a tv?
There was only 2 wires into the tv. Is this the cause of the trip as there is no earth?

thanks and I apologies for the numpty question!

Sponsored Links
Normally a plug for a TV would contain a 3A fuse.

Which colour wire have you connected to which pins in the plug?

In the cable there will only be 2 wires if it is double insulated, the brown wire connecting to the L terminal which is fused and the blue connected to the N terminal. The fuse size depends on the rating of the TV and the manufacturers recommendations, what does it say in the instruction book?

Do you have an RCD protected fuseboard in your new house but didn't have one in your old one?
Is it the RCD that is tripping rather than the mcb (fuse)?
If so you may have wired your neutral and earth the wrong way round in the plug and your new fuseboard is now picking up this fault.
Try opening up the plug to check

SB

Sponsored Links
RF - I am not in the house currently but pretty sure I wired it right. It did work in my old house. Also it has a 5AM fuse. I was surprised to only find two wires

Spark123 - Im afraid I bought it second hand with no instructions. It must be double insulated as there was only two wires when i cut off the old moulded plug

Sparkybird. I guess this is possible. I will check the plug. My old house has electrics from the 50's and the new one is New as of last week. If it was wired the wrong way round would it still have worked on my old circuit?

Thanks for the answers, i know little to go on!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back