Twisted wood. Help please.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I popped into my nearest Diy store (18 miles away!) and bought 2 lengths of planed whitewood 47mm x 94mm.

Unfortunately it did not occur to me at the time to check the wood and I had to cut off about 300mm from the 2.4m length to get it into my car.

However when I got home and laid it out on the floor it is badly twisted.

I (perhaps stupidly) assumed that as it had been planed it would have been straight.

Is it just a case of physically checking the wood before you buy it or is there a grade of wood which is usually straighter than others?

Any help greatfully received.

:?:

Sponsored Links
Its always best to 'sight' every length of wood you buy, then get it home and use it as soon as you can, really.....apart from lengths of flooring, for example, that ideally need to acclimatise in the building before being used.
All timbers warp, and the kiln dried stuff that we generally use these days is no exception. Even hardwoods like iroko can be stable in boards for ages, but put them through a saw and they twist away.
You may still be able to use your 4" x 2" though but you won't take the twist out easily.
John :)

fully agree with burnerman
what exactly are you using it for so we can suggest help full solutions ??

Many thanks to both of you for the replies.

In answer to the question 'what exactly are you using it for so we can suggest help full solutions'

I am building what is commonly known as a 'Floating wall' for my Av equipment.

In simple terms it is just a frame fixed to the wall which ultimately provides a flat surface to fit the top board sheeting which is then cut around the TV etc.

Here's some examples
http://www.floatingwall.co.uk/

I need to end up with the framework protruding out from the wall by approx. 150mm.

I had planned to use the 2x4 with the 2" as the width and the 4" as the protrusion from the wall. And then was going to add 2x2 on top of that to get the required depth.

But as previously stated the 2x4 is twisted enough that I cant see that I could get it to untwist very easily.
In hindsight perhaps I should just use 3x layers of 2x4 with the 4" as the width onto the wall, even if this were twisted slightly it should flat to the wall should it not?

Sponsored Links
A sheet or two of 18mm mdf would be better choice , no frame required, perfectly flat and an easy to paint.Make up like a radiator cover but on a larger scale, and hinges to one side and a set of castors on the other and you can open like a door to access wiring etc.

You want to look for "Kiln dried" or CLS timber - either of which will be generally straight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back