Two earths but one earth terminal.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I replaced my light pull cord switch without any issues but now I’ve come to my shower pull cord I have an issue.

There are two earths. I get that the supply in (live and neutral and then the shower goes on the other terminals but which do I hook up to the earth?

The one from the shower or from the main supply?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
This seems confusing, if you have x2 live, x2 neutral, x2 earths, what’s the issue? Can you post a photo?

Not the best photo but this is how it looked on the old pull cord switch.
New one only has place for one earth.

Attachments

• DD3C09C8-C7A1-4E47-8F27-CA1AB206AD62.jpeg
    DD3C09C8-C7A1-4E47-8F27-CA1AB206AD62.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Thankyou for your replies. Much appreciated.

It’s so difficult as there is so little wire but I will try and get them both in together.

It is essential that the two Earth conductors are connected together to ensure that the electric shower has an effective Safety Earth connection. This connection is from the Earth in the Consumer Unit via the joint in the switch and on to the shower.

If the plumbing to the shower is using plastic water pipes then the shower relies entirely on the Earth conductors to prevent electric shocks when the shower is in use.

Edit.. misread post :(

Do you have a link to the pull switch you have bought?
There are plenty available that do have two earth terminals, if you are struggling.

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone.

I will make sure those earth connectors are connected. The switch I have bought is this one:

As it was late last night and I was having a really bad day I had to stop what I was doing, plus I couldnt see much with just a torch!
The current back box was the wrong size so I need oto pick one up today too. All the wires kept falling out so I've just flicked the switch on the Consumer unit off for the shower.
This should mean it is fully safe until I can get back to sorting it right?

I did a test with voltage meter and it showed no electricity.

Normally, sockets or switches with more than one earth terminal have them linked internally. They are not switched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back