two FCU's from one socket on kitchen ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi am new to the forum so bear with me. (may have posted this on the wrong bit)

Bascially, Im planning a kitchen and have come acrosss the need to supply power to two under counter white appliances (dishwasher and washing machine)

I have a double socket directly above the space where they are to be located. This socket has 2 sets of 2.5mm t&e to it.

Is it feasible to add two 13a FCU's which would each have a leg down to socket for each appliance.

Im thinking that by taking one of the existing cables, attatching like this:

one of exisitng 2.5 cables-----FCU-----Exisitng double-----FCU------other exisitng 2.5 cable. (obviously with 2.5 legs down to under counter)

Would appreciate any advice - and yes, i know its notifiable.

Thanks, Steve.

Sponsored Links
So, basically you would be extending the ring so that the 2 new FCUs are in the ring. That is the best way of doing it.

yup. sounds reasonable as long as you include INTO the ring as you've written and not just take 2 spurs off the double socket..

So what i thought was right is the right way huh?

Am i right in saying that as the exisitng socket has 2 x 2.5 into it , it is a ring and not a radial circuit? (my consumer unit is old but does say ring1 ring 2 etc...)

The other slight problem with my proposed plan is that the exisitng wires to the double are buried in plaster so i only have the short ends to play with....is it possible to join up a short new length to complete ther ring (connected inside gang box of exisitng double via 13a connector block and taped up?)

Also, i need to do similar with another socket on the other side of the kitchen - one to go down under worktop to built in freezer and the other FCU to go up to feed a built in wall unit micro.

I take it this again would be ok?

Sponsored Links
would it be acceptable for the one fcu to feed sockets for both appliances if they are next to each other?

hmm lets see... 2 11 amp or so appliances using a double socket fed from a 13A FCU????

NO... you will almost definitely blow the fuse in the FCU if you used both appliances at the same time...

I dont want to run the two appliances from the same FCU as i want to be able to issolate them individually (this is the correct way so i have been told)

So, in conclusion...my proposed method is ok i take it?

Just need clarification on the extending of the exisitng cable.

Can it be joined via a block INSIDE the gang box or the other idea i had was:

Chase the cables out (come from above but flat roof extension) and extend via a JB (which would be located on the top of a wall unit) down to exisiting socket height and thus on to the FCU's and then to the sockets below worktop.

1st plan = less work
2nd plan = more work but if its the recommended way to go then ill get me chisel out!

OK. thanks guys for your replies. Seems like "i gotta plan" as hannibal from the A-team would have said :LOL:

I have some other wiring questions, so do i ask here or fire away with a new topic ? (which would prob be a repeated one!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back