Two Rapid Fire Questions - Re: Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Currently fitting a pendant from Ikea. The instructions state that a ceiling hook should be used.

What I want to know is whether something like this will suffice?
https://www.toolstation.com/cup-hook/p90559

2. I also want to fit a downlight in the same position my ceiling rose used to be. In the ceiling I can see a some wood fixed to the plasterboard (to ensure a good fixing).

What I want to know is whether it is okay to just use the hole saw in this area? will it be able to cut both the plasterboard and wood cleanly for a decent fixing?

Sponsored Links
1. Currently fitting a pendant from Ikea. The instructions state that a ceiling hook should be used.

What I want to know is whether something like this will suffice?

No.

As to hook depends on weight, I was quite surprised at the weight limit for a standard ceiling rose, in fact I would think many ceiling roses would not take rated weight as unlikely fixed to ceiling well enough, one would expect this
LDMC11A.JPG
to take a lot more weight to standard ceiling rose, however rating is 5 kg and this one
ASPCR2000.JPG
says 5 kg when suspended by flexible cord and otherwise 10 kg, to be frank I can't see many taking that weight, they would pull out of the ceiling, never the less that is the rated weight. Holding up 5 kg while you wire it up would be hard, and without some slide in ceiling rose I don't think I could do it. So maybe the hook is required for easy of fitting not because of the weight? Oddly the type of hook found in Ikea
61OhM01O0TL._AC_UL115_.jpg
has half the weight capacity of a ceiling rose at 2.5 kg. Also they need covering, and I have found when the light has been knocked and is unhooked and hanging by the flex, not really a good idea. But it's not the hook, but what the hook is screwed into that matters.

As to a down light, the clips are designed for plaster board thickness, any more and they are unlikely to hold in place.

As to using a cup hook to hold lights, main problem is a single fixing, if the hooks shown start to fail likely they will release on one side first and you will see signs of it failing, cup hook has no weight rating and if it fails the whole lamp falls. Use a hook designed to hold lights, not some Heath Robinson affair.

in my slight experience of such things, they are mostly hung on a Chandelier Hook driven into the joist, and positioned to one side of the electrical ceiling rose. In these cases the lamp is commonly held on a brass or other chain, and the flex run beside or through it. In others the lamp is suspended on a tube, and the flex inside. These usually have a dome concealing the connections, and the rod screws into a ceiling plate that the dome also screws up to.

s-l1600.jpg

You can also get more ornamental ones with a dome, or with a fixing plate and two screws.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Why ever not?

Apart from the threaded section possibly a bit short, and assuming there wood above the ceiling to screw it to.

One may be able to use a hook plate, but often this results in the plate being seen where those rubbishy Ikea cup covers don't sit properly.

I also want to fit a downlight in the same position my ceiling rose used to be.
You will need to enlarge the existing hole so that the wiring can be extended using a suitable maintenance-free junction box and connectors, then cut a new hole between the joists for the new light, then repair and redecorate the ceiling.

Cutting into the joist or any other timber for a downlight is not acceptable.

One may be able to use a hook plate, but often this results in the plate being seen where those rubbishy Ikea cup covers don't sit properly.
You can say that again! Ikea pendants are absolute crap. Even when you go into the store they can't even get the light cup covers to sit flush

However, as it's what the missus wanted :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_181229486.jpg
    IMG_20191129_181229486.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20191129_181135748.jpg
    IMG_20191129_181135748.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 225

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back