Two way switch and on double dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, fixing a new dimmer switch for some new LED light fittings. I have took the old dimmer switch off (see image) and tried to attach the new dimmer the same way. It hasn’t worked.

The dimmer has two switches one for the ceiling light and one for the wall lights. There is also a light switch on the other side of the room only for the main light. When I have wired it up the same the main light only works on the dimmer when the other switch is on.

There is also a lose yellow wire that didn’t seem to be connected to anything. Could anyone please help?

Attachments

• 3767DDEF-F9AB-47FC-AA51-AEF838629F69.jpeg
    3767DDEF-F9AB-47FC-AA51-AEF838629F69.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
I assume that pic is the old switch ,did everything work ok, wired as in pic , with the yellow disconnected ?

We are going to need to see the other switch too.

Can you confirm this sketch shows which wires belong together:
upload_2021-10-13_20-12-21.png

Last edited:
I’ve moved the wires to try fix it since the photo but there is three cables.
One cable with a red and black wire
Then two cables both with a red, yellow and blue wire.
From what I remember the blue wire and yellow wire in L2 came from different cables. So yes from your labelled diagram that looks like you have the wires correct.
I’ve had the other switch off and it looks like this.
Thanks

Attachments

• AB53F859-B01D-4031-ABF7-131A8EA80B81.jpeg
    AB53F859-B01D-4031-ABF7-131A8EA80B81.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
I’ve moved the wires to try fix it since the photo but there is three cables.
One cable with a red and black wire
Then two cables both with a red, yellow and blue wire.
From what I remember the blue wire and yellow wire in L2 came from different cables. So yes from your labelled diagram that looks like you have the wires correct.
I’ve had the other switch off and it looks like this.
Thanks
Excellent information.

I THINK it needs to be wired like this:
upload_2021-10-14_1-11-41.png

The bit in the grey circle is elsewhare, probably in the ceiling rose and requires no attention.
Looking at the cables I THINK you have the 2 reds in L1 swapped,

To confirm the red from the twin and earth (red and black wires) goes to the L1 with a red link wire and the loose yellow:
upload_2021-10-14_1-32-33.png

Before you make these changes I'm hoping someone else will assess my assumptions and check my sanity.

Sunray does appear to have got it right, his diagram is correct......
And very close to OP's original thoughts.

It's a little difficult to see exactly which wires are which and it may just need the yellow terminating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back