Type B RCD (ie AC/DC sensing - NOT RCBOs!) stockists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a supplier that holds type B 30mA DP RCDs of any make, as required for EV charging points? I can't find any on TLC, YESSS or CEF web sites. For that matter, I can't find them listed on the common manufacturers' web sites either. (MK, Wylex, Eaton, Hager)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I always thought the 3 types were
Type A
Type AC
Type S

Edit,
http://www.doepke.co.uk/rcd/rcdB.html

"Type A RCCB / EN61008-1 Suitable for use with AC and pulsating DC with a maximum DC content of <6mA (Fig 1). If more than 6 mA DC flows through the RCCB, the tripping characteristic will be altered due to the saturation effect of the DC current on the A Type sensing coil. As the level of DC current increases the tripping time will increase to a point where the coil is completely saturated and the RCCB will not operate – see clause 133.1.3 IEE Wiring Regulations.

Type B RCCB / IEC60755 / IEC62423 Designed for use in installations subject to AC and DC residual currents, outside of the range of an A type RCCB."

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Wylex/WylexSolarPV.pdf
Shows a wylex 40 amp

Have you tried EDMUNSON, I recall them selling PV stuff

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion here (it may be mine). Type B are AC-DC sensitive so can trip in the presence of DC currents that would prevent other types operating. They should have the pulsed and continuous DC symbol in addition to the AC symbols. The DC symbols don't appear on the items you linked to.

See 722.531.2.101 of 18th ed BS7671 DPC,

also

http://www.doepke.co.uk/download/Techpub-17

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know much about EV charging points but -

are you perhaps wondering unnecessarily?

upload_2017-7-8_14-53-49.png

I think also, after the part I have highlighted, there should be a comma and then a lower case t.

Whatever it is supposed to mean, it is very poorly written. There's a surprise.

C'mon, it's a big, big document. And although there are lots and lots of people working on it, they do have other things to worry about, like when their next buffet is coming along or whether they can catch a sneaky peek at their secretary's new dress. And then there's the distractions of the internet...

They can't possibly be expected to get it perfect.

Sorry. I forgot to add the keywords stuffy, old and farts.

I have just installed some AC/DC type B RCDs supplying inverter driven robots on a dairy farm.

The only supplier we could find was doepke but be warned you're looking at around £350 for double pole and £500 for 4 pole devices.

Thanks, that pretty much means that for domestic charge points, the dc protection has to be built into the charger. Which for a Tesla means it has to be built into the car as they support charging from a standard 32A industrial outlet.

If that's how it is then there's no problem. I think I'll drop them a line to check.

I think also, after the part I have highlighted, there should be a comma and then a lower case t.
I don't think so - at least for me, that would make it even less understandable (as well as grammatically rather odd {incorrect?}).

Kind Regards, John

Well, it depends what it's supposed to say:
Either what I said or some other correction.

"Each charge point ... ,protective measures against DC fault current shall be taken, except where provided by the EV charging equipment."

doesn't make sense.

Well, it depends what it's supposed to say: Either what I said or some other correction. .... "Each charge point ... ,protective measures against DC fault current shall be taken, except where provided by the EV charging equipment." .... doesn't make sense.
It doesn't. I would imagine that it's meant to say something like:

"For Eeach charge point ... ,protective measures against DC fault current shall be taken, except where provided by the EV charging equipment."

... which, I would suggest, does make sense.

Kind Regards, John

That may be one way but then neither comma is required.
If the comma before 'except' is used then it implies their would be more after the clause.

As it is the point of the sentence it would be better if it started with 'Except where ...' or

a new sentence started at 'Except where' and then as I suggested.

As the first sentence mandates the use of at least an A type RCD, it is just very badly written.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back