UKIP: The First 100 Days

I was going to leave it at that.......but felt, seeing as you asked .......

I dont think their main policies are best for the country, and I wish they would decide whether they are UKIP or GBIP, because they disregard NI too often. Which is strange for a 'UK' party.

as opposed to thinking a vote for them is ineffective, which I think you might have wondered about.

Not trying to turn it into a UKIP thread but you make a valid point about teh reasons for voting (or not voting ) for somebody. and if my reason was 'the vote for them is wasted' then I think it's a relevant question

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your honesty (and eventual reply!). I completely support your freedom to support them or not, and wouldn't have things any other way.

There is just one point of which I'd like to ask for clarification, and that is why you believe UKIP disregards Northern Ireland.

Thank you for your honesty (and eventual reply!). I completely support your freedom to support them or not, and wouldn't have things any other way.

There is just one point of which I'd like to ask for clarification, and that is why you believe UKIP disregards Northern Ireland.

They keep talking about 'Britain' rather than the UK , which I find odd , and leads me to think they are reactionary rather than progressive , with poor grasp of detail.

We've touched on this before, but I really think this makes a nonsense of their main platform .

Oh, is that all? I understand what you mean, of course, but I'm sure that when people talk about Britain they really mean the United Kingdom. I do it myself, and it is perfectly innocent. 'Britain' = 2 syllables; 'The United Kingdom' = 6 syllables. Which is easiest to say?

What about the adjective 'British'. Do you think that when people refer to 'British values', for example, they intentionally exclude the Northern Irish?

In a similar vein, 'Britain' and 'the British Isles' are two different things. And, strictly speaking, the island is not 'Britain' but 'Great Britain' as opposed to 'Little Britain' which, I think, once upon a time referred to Brittany.

Let's not forget that the political party is called 'UKIP' and not 'BIP'!
I think, if there was one, I might vote for the 'YIP'! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Oh, is that all? I understand what you mean, of course, but I'm sure that when people talk about Britain they really mean the United Kingdom. I do it myself, and it is perfectly innocent. 'Britain' = 2 syllables; 'The United Kingdom' = 6 syllables. Which is easiest to say?

What about the adjective 'British'. Do you think that when people refer to 'British values', for example, they intentionally exclude the Northern Irish?

In a similar vein, 'Britain' and 'the British Isles' are two different things. And, strictly speaking, the island is not 'Britain' but 'Great Britain' as opposed to 'Little Britain' which, I think, once upon a time referred to Brittany.

Let's not forget that the political party is called 'UKIP' and not 'BIP'!
I think, if there was one, I might vote for the 'YIP'! :LOL:

You are right of course on the detail.. And Great means 'big' rather than fantastic!

For me, if they can't get the main point of their existence correct, then why even examine what the other details are. Talk about sovereignty but then get the name of the country wrong, and omit a chunk of the electorate.

Not a comment on yourself, but on general discussions we see/hear-
'Easiest to say'for me suggests lazy or intentional omission. NI is part of the UK, not Britain. I think in political discussions we have to be precise especially when concerning sovereignty. People have fought and died over these details, so they are worth getting right.

The fact that a lot of people don't even know the name of the country that is printed on their passport also saddens me.

It just gives me the impression of a populist set of slogans, which is only reinforced when I see Farage and others challenged in a debate.

If you ever get a chance, 'The Isles' by Norman Davies is a good read, especially on the mythology that has grown up around some of the early Norman monarchs. Also interesting on how they saw England as a province of their French holdings, and at what stage an English identity became politically necessary by the elite.

But that's another thread.....

The fact that a lot of people don't even know the name of the country that is printed on their passport also saddens me.

You mean 'The European Union'?

I shall need to renew my passport in three years' time. I hope with all my heart that, by then, there will be a different wording on the new one.

And I don't mean 'The European Empire'. :mad:

As a follow up, Farage's comments on ROI joining the commonwealth show a real lack of understanding, which only reinforces my thoughts outlined above- not a good grasp of detail on main areas of policy.

As a follow up, Farage's comments on ROI joining the commonwealth show a real lack of understanding, which only reinforces my thoughts outlined above- not a good grasp of detail on main areas of policy.

What were his comments?

One quote...

"If you put to the Irish people, the issue of Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth, you might be surprised at how many people in Ireland think it's a rather good idea."

One quote...

"If you put to the Irish people, the issue of Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth, you might be surprised at how many people in Ireland think it's a rather good idea."

Thank you.

I don't know the context of his statement but, on the face of it at least, I can't see what is so outrageous with what he said.

The Republic of Ireland has been an independent country since 1922 (I think), they speak the same language as us and in many other ways are very similar to the British.

Personally, I am quite ambivalent as to whether or not Ireland should decide to join the Commonwealth, and I'm not sure what any benefits of membership might be anyway. Do Commonwealth nations qualify for more foreign aid than other countries?

One quote...

Thank you.

I don't know the context of his statement but, on the face of it at least, I can't see what is so outrageous with what he said.

The Republic of Ireland has been an independent country since 1922 (I think), they speak the same language as us and in many other ways are very similar to the British.

Personally, I am quite ambivalent as to whether or not Ireland should decide to join the Commonwealth, and I'm not sure what any benefits of membership might be anyway. Do Commonwealth nations qualify for more foreign aid than other countries?

They get to beat the crap out of us in games. :mrgreen:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back