UKIP: The First 100 Days

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else been watching 'UKIP: The First 100 Days' this evening?

This 'drama documentary' purports to show what would happen if UKIP gained a secure majority in May.

It begins very positively but, as the 'story' develops, things begin to go wrong, including a female Asian UKIP MP becoming unnerved by chanting 'rentamobs' (mostly white) attacking her and her party for repatriating illegal immigrants. The producers of the film seem to have forgotten that, in their scenario, the majority of the voting population must have agreed with this, and others, of UKIP's policies.

Before it even started, I suspected that the producers (Channel 4) were likely to have a left-wing agenda. I was, consequently, not surprised how the story panned out!

Sponsored Links
Damn it! I wanted to watch that but forgot. Still, no worries, I might be able to see the real thing in May.

Not necessarily the case on the majority agreeing.

Under our system, you can have the majority of seats without winning the majority of votes.

This is quite common, as it's 'First past the post'

Eg A gets 31% B gets 32% C gets 30% Others get 6%

C wins election with only 32% of the vote.

Not a comment on the program,but a comment on the understanding of how the system works.

Not necessarily the case on the majority agreeing.

Under our system, you can have the majority of seats without winning the majority of votes.

This is quite common, as it's 'First past the post'

Eg A gets 31% B gets 32% C gets 30% Others get 6%

C wins election with only 32% of the vote.

Not a comment on the program,but a comment on the understanding of how the system works.

You're quite right, of course, which is why I believe we should adopt a proportional representation system. Yes, it would undoubtedly lead to more coalitions, but that might not be a bad idea. I was not impressed with our current coalition of Tories and Limp Dems, because all we seemed to see was one party proposing one thing and then their partners vetoing it.
Coalitions do seem to work better in some other countries, though.

Sponsored Links
Not that I'm a fan of UKIP but for a major channel to broadcast a view of a political party stinks - unless they plan to do the same with all the majors.

Hi all.

What about a system of PR that is already in place and WORKING, quite well right here in the UK?

Look no further than Scotland. We have PR up here in the far frozen north.

PR up here was supposed to encourage an on-going semi-permanent system of Co-Alition Government, this to ensure no single party had long term governing body.

But, along came the SNP [Sorry to pitch the SNP into your previous posts, what happens if SNP wipe the board up here and in effect oust Labour from Scotland? could be SNP may hold balance of power? having possibly taken the Labour up here in Scotland out of Westminster?] and with a very large rise in Scottish parliamentary Seats blew the Coalition system up here apart.

Please do not underestimate the possibility of Scotland in the up-coming Nationwide election.

If Scotland vote out Labour, and given the new Labour leader up here as well as the massive swell in popularity of the SNP there may well be a massive seed change in UK politics.

Lets see?

Ken

Not that I'm a fan of UKIP but for a major channel to broadcast a view of a political party stinks - unless they plan to do the same with all the majors.

I shall not be holding my breath. They might do one on the Tories, but LibLabGreen: never.

I agree. I think UKIP are not worth voting for, but I don't think this is right in the run- up to an election unless there is balance. We are not the US !

(I've not seen the programme)

Sponsored Links
Back